Which Nacra to buy?

akuli

Hi,

Want to get my 11 yr old into sailing and I like cats so a cat it will be. I live near Ballina and am just not sure which one to buy although, Nacra appears to be the way to go...very popular at Ballina.

Not really intereseted in racing right now but maybe later. The Richmond river ar Ballina is pretty narrow and often has strong tidal currents.

Have looked at the 4.5 an 5.o but neither have centre boards which may helo at Ballina.

Cheers,

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

From personal experience, I would definately say the 5.0

My daughter is 11 also and she first started sailing with me at age 7. My 2nd daughter started last year who is now eight. The 5.0 has plenty of room, bouyancy and can be easily depowered and yet can be raced competitively.

This is my fourth 5.0 and unfortunately I have to sell her. Have a look at the Boats for sale section.

Your more then welcome to come and try it out with your daughter - currently at Southport Yacht Club.

Good luck with your selection - but as I say, from persoanl experience - definately the 5.0!

Cheers,

Simon T

Hi Wayne, If you are looking to race at Ballina in the future go the 4.5 for the competition. We have a solid fleet of 4.5s at RRSRC with a great bunch of owners and enjoy some close and fun competition. Handicap allowance is made for two-up verses one-up and we try not to get too serious.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wayne,

My son and I are to Ready to move up a class to a 5.8 .

I purchased Self Inlicted 2021 4 years ago when my son of 13 and we have had a complete ball !

We sail at KCC on Botany Bay ,and when we first purchased the boat the members were great with advise and still give me tips up to today.

What a great boat for a father son/ daughter team. Easy to sail has twin traps , great boat to get the hang of a cat sailing.

I'm no expert , but the 5.0 is a great boat .

Regards DW

Archived