slowboat

slowboat

hi all,i took my 4mtr maricat out for the first time ever over christmas out of mannering park sailing club.it had been sitting in my garage for months waiting to get wet.after about 3 minutes the mast crashed down in the drink much to the amusement of all the holidaymakers!someone had done a bodgey crimp on the forestay and the strop literally pulled itself out under load.one quick trip to boat shop and $7 latter we were underway again with much more success.the left hull took a bit of water and the self furling jib is a bit of a mystery but other that that it was a great afternoon,once i get the jib repaired[sail has slid down the stay] or replaced i might get brave enough to turn up for a race.

jeremy

Just fix the jib as best you can and turn up for a race, you'll learn heaps, the guys that know can give you some assistance for what ever you need fixing, its a learning process. Don't worry about having to get some practice or what ever before racing, you can practice till you're blue in the face, but if you are'nt sailing against someone who knows what to do, you are just dancing in the dark, like how do you know if you are pointing high enough, or is your speed as good as someone else sailing a boat the same as yours. Don't be put off by coming last in racres for about at least 2 seasons either, we have all been there, someone has to come 1st someone has to come last, for many races that was me (coming last). I sailed Manly Juniors all through school, then had a Cherub, but sailing a mono uses different skills to sailing a cat, be brave come and race.

post-10793-1377629922171_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived