Windrush 14 1985 model (looking to purchase)

PCW

Hi all,

Have just joined the forum and am looking at purchasing a windrush.

I have possibly found a 1985 model according to the add but was looking for any issues i need to look for on this particular model.

I use to sail gaffers as a kid in Merimbula and occasional cats years ago.

We now have room for a boat and are near the beach so its time to hit the water!

greatly appreciate any input.

Cheers,

Pete

False start again.

The one I was looking at is a Mark 2 early with a build date around 1985.

hull number is 696 sail number 4958.

from what I understand Windrush yachts took over in May 1986 and started producing the mark 3

(Would love to get a mark 3 if I can find one)

Cheers,

Pete

Hi Pete, FYI windrush started making the foam sandwich boats (mark 3) in 1992 with the hull numbers from 1200 onwards . The mark 2 boats (bulkhead) were made throughout the 80's. They first started putting hull numbers on the boats with the last of the mark 1 boats ( I had one a while back which was hull # 657 & it was a mark 1 (older heavy). A friend has hull # 701 which is an early bulkhead boat but it doesn't have the hull wts stamped onto it. I thought that it was when windrush changed hands that they started stamping in hull wts as well. I have a bulkhead boat hull # 1189, which according to the figures is a late mark 2 boat (only 11 before they started the mark 3) . It was made in about 1989 - so that would indicate not many made from 89 to 92' .

So good luck with finding a decent boat. Certainly agree with Tornadosport260 about checking the bulkheads - virtually all bulkhead boats I have seen have delamination problems, I know I have attempted to reglass my bulkheads to prolong the life .. Main thing is to not leave the hatches closed up with moisture in the hulls as thats what rots the wood.

Rgds

I think I have Chris, boat belongs to a Gentleman called "Digger" asking $6,000.00

George II,

My understanding from Brett at Windrush is that they took over production of the windrush 14 in May 1986 and started numbering the hulls from 1000

Cheers,

Pete

Hi Pete, Brett may well have started renumbering the hulls from 1000 when they took over , my point is that the early heavy boats (mark 1) were generally not numbered at all, only the latest ones of them have hull numbers (but no weights). Hull numbers about 700 are certainly mark 2 boats , I think that they started including the hull weights when Brett took over. But they still made the mark 2 boats up until 1992 when they started making the mark 3 foam boats.

If you can get the budgetry approval then I would certainly look at the Foamy - seems a lot to start with but well worth it & that boat looks like its got a great set of sails. i know if it was over here in the west it would be snapped up. foam boats are very hard to come by .

I would certainly look at it realistically vs the mark 2 boat you were looking at (a very early mark 2 by the hull number ) .

Good luck shopping . Hope you hit the water soon.

Rgds.

Archived