Calling all Nacra 5.0 Sailors

Humdinger

My wife and I recently bought a Nacra 5.0. We've been dragging the 5.0 to various regattas, looking for competition, but cannot help notice the lack of other 5.0's sailing regularly.

So ... we'd like to start a community for all Nacra 5.0 owners out there. It doesn't matter if you're a racer or a cruiser; whether you've been sailing for 40 years or started last week; whether your boat is sail #1 or brand new ... we want to hear from you. We then plan to to organise training days, fun sailing days, and share knowledge with fellow 5.0 sailors.

Please let us know your email address ... to N50class@qld.nacra.asn.au ... & anything else about yourselves you’d like to share – where you are, where you sail, why you don’t sail, how long you’ve had the boat – you get the idea.

• 1 month later...

Hello Humdinger, I have just purchased a second hand Nacra 5.8. Not sure if this fits into your request for Nacra 5.0 club but I could do with some advice? It took my husband & I all day Sat to work out how to stand the huge mast that came with this second hand boat! We ended up rigging a boat winch to the mast hoder at the front of the trailer but the whole rig is so heavy & very complicated. Ive done lots of sailing over the years - both multi hull & mono's but am struggling to work out the fine tuning of the 5.8. Do you know where I can access some technical help to rig this as I am reluctant to take to the water until I can rig it well without an audience!! I think I will just sell on if I cannot find an easier way to rig this. Can you help please?

From rigging tips and tricks.

This is a topic covered often in many forums and one that will never go away. With some practice and knowledge you can raise a 5.8 or bigger mast solo, and it is hard to explain here but easy to show, but I will try.

I set up the boat on the grass or beach with the bow heading down a slight hill or down the beach. The rollers are then place right at the rear of the boat. As far back as possible.

The mast is layed along the boat with it balancing on both beams with the foot near the bows.

The side stays are attached along with the trap wires, but this is not a must, they can stay wrapped around the stays if this is how you pack up.

I then have a rope attached to the forestay and running through a shackle or ring on the bridal then layed back to the rear beam.

Next step is to move the mast base onto the ball. This needs practice to do alone, but can be managed. It is easier if you have your trailer nearby, or something to hold the top end of the mast. I use my trailer mast holder as I can, but I have used fences, trees and even a beach umbrella. Your car roof racks are great too.

The mast is now ready to be lifted and I start lifting where it is comfortable. That varies on how many beers I may have had the night before and how much strength I think I have.

I then walk to the stern of the boat with the mast at shoulder height. Once at the stern I rest it on my shoulder grab the rope that is attached to the forestay, as I am going to keep this reasonably tight as I walk the mast up the rest of the way.

The rollers now come into play. I use the axle as my first step up onto the boat. It is much easier that trying to lift the mast and take the big step onto the rear beam.

The mast is still at shoulder height and mainly I use my shoulder until I get onto the rear beam or tramp.

Once I am up there, I grab the mast with two hands and walk it up, with the forestay rope being transfered between hands as I keep walking it up.

Once I have it upright, I have the forestay almost in position due to the rope and if I keep this tight, the mast will stay up and I can jump off the front beam and shackle the forestay in place.

It is a rather quick process and takes a few practice sessions with some mates around in case you get into trouble, but it is worth it in the long run.

You can run the rope through any block with a cleat on the boat as well if you have one (jib block) and it will hold in position at any stage.

I can do it with most masts if set up right. The 5.8 mast is a cinch this way.

Archived