Snapped main block assembly...

Hi All,

Just after a bit of advice, or spare parts, or both. When dragging my cat onto terrra firma after my first sail, a gust of wind came along and snapped the main sail around. I had not released the main sheet (won't do that again!), so the block assembly attached to the traveller (Mk1) snapped - the single and double blocks came apart. The blocks themselves are in good working order, just separated. Can I re-join them via a shackle or is that asking for trouble? Or should I buy new blocks? Pics attached.

Thanks

if your just having a bit of a social sail and not racing, the way you have attached should suffice. however they are very old blocks, therefor other stuff will start failing due to fatigue. the other thing to look at is cost of new blocks, to replace that system will cost around $150 - 200. watch this forum on the forsale area and you might find a second hand setup for sale. good luck with the sailing, always enjoy it!!!

those 2 blocks don't really need to be able to swivel independant to each other and there is a swivel where these blocks attach to the traveller I assume, just shackle them together. On the 6 to 1 low profile race blocks, that is all one piece. Yeh when you finish sailing let the traveller loose, let the mainsheet free, and let all the tension of the mainsail downhaul. these precautions will stop most unplanned movements.

Phil

Archived