Speers Point (Lake Macquarie) Anzac Day regatta

Speers point ANZAC day regatta report 14 foot division

A wet regatta though with good wind at around 10 to 15 knots southerly, a fairly small fleet of 14s, but I suppose larger than in previous years, we had 7 14s 2 arrows 1 windy SS 1 mari cat rigged the rest mari SS, I had a good start and lead for the 1st triangle and the 1st leg of the windward return, but a tangle with a crab pot and my leeward rudder cost me about 2 minutes allowing Mick Colecleiffe to get in front of me and from there it was all bad. Final analysis was Mick 1st (mari SS), me 2nd (Mari SS), Warrren P 3rd (windy SS), Jimbo 4th (Mari cat), Scott Spencer 5th (Mari SS) after this I am only guessing as to names and places.

Well done Phil, That must of hurt to put me up as first. I have to say that was great fun, close competition and good PR from the Speers Point guys. Hey Warren, I have your main sheet block. I will hold on to it for now unless you want me to post it to you.

Yes it was a good outing, sadly the light winds that were forecast didn't happen. I had an excellent start, at the boat on the dot and was thrashing up the first beat within close sight of Warren and Phil, didn't see where Mick had gone. Then we tacked! Minutes later I got under way again.

The new rig settings I had though did make a huge difference and I did get to tack perfectly just enough to keep me coming back, I was even ploughing through the swell that the southerly had kicked up.

It's really just a matter of time Mick and Phil, you may be old and infirm by the time I catch up with you but it'll happen, you just wait!

Archived