Speers Point (Lake Macquarie) Anzac Day regatta

For once you are right, almost. 2k-8knots. every time i have raced there at this regatta it is a drifter and on the way home she blows her tits off. The big boats get the shits because they get beat on scratch by a Maricat, the finish boat says you can't be finished yet and tells you to go and do the rest of the race. The same thing is going to happen this time only lite weather expert jimbo is going to be up there with me. Cat rigged it is for me. I need to give jimbo a lesson on lite weather Maricat sailing.

It was nearly a disaster, Friday I came back to the station and of course the Maverick had been stolen. Most of my sailing stuff inside (silly me). Darcy is fixing me up for a new set of stays and one of my daughters had given me a BCF voucher so I have a new pfd, now all I have to do is get a passout from the wife, who I'd promised to spend Easter painting the house!

As to wind, remember about three years ago, first time I'd turned up, there'd been a BIG southerly and wet in the week previous, of course I couldn't tack then (still can't when its windy) and the reach was like a roller coaster with the big swell from the southerly. I think Phil you said you thought you saw something dark and hairy in the water!

Mick generously gave me his winning voucher and I'm still using those lucky wet suit booties!

Notice of Race for Speers Point: http://www.sailingspeerspoint.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/ANZAC-NOR-2011.pdf

Seems to say just one race on Monday afternoon.

The NS14 State Titles are on that weekend at Teralba; just across the bay, with over 50 boats entered. Might be some traffic on the water.

Too far for me, will be training some newbies in the fine art of 14' cat sailing on Wallagoot Lake instead.

Ann & Greg were very grateful, and are getting new stay wires & other mods to fit it properly.

They followed my suggestion of taking it easy and reaching back and forth across the lake to start with. Next week i'm hoping to demonstrate proper use of mainsheet & traveller, maybe even some flying lessons!

Meanwhile ex-girlfriend has been learning to skipper a Sabre (after a few months as crew with me on an NS14). The first two weeks she came back with lumps on her head from all the accidental gybes, but did better this week and got a solid 4 hours on the water with no capsize or head injury. She reckons it's time to try the Paper Tiger!

All good fun.

Best of luck at Speers Point!

Looking forward to seeing you again Malcolm. "The Old Malcolm Falcon" every maricat on the water is a bonus. You may be opening a can of worms asking Mick for advise on sailing technique though unless you are prepared to have a thick skin, but hey he will be too busy giving Jimbo a light weather sailing lesson. See you there.

Archived