Cat sailing around Townsville

Hi guys,

I am currently looking at getting into sailing again and thought that I might try a cat, the only problem is that there doesnt seem to be many cats around the Townsville area. Does anyone know of any fleets around here or even just people who sail for a bit of fun, as this will dictate what I get. You dont want a Mari mixing it up with the 16'+ boats haha.

Anywho, this is a great forum and thanks in advance,

Shane

yeah an f18 is a little bit out of my price range :p I'm more looking at a 14 footer, one to sail singlehanded, but can take 2. Either way I'm gonna have fun finding one up here for the right price. Anyone know how to get a cat and trailer shipped up here?

Thanks Chock,

Looking at the Townsville sailing club site they are having a race this weekend so I think I might wander down and have a chat to the guys. Now my next problem is finding a cat around here haha. I have found plenty around my price range but they are all too far away, I'm not a fan of dragging a cat trailor all the way up from Brisbane :p

Anywho thanks again,

Shane

Shane,

Come this Sunday but numbers will be down a bit for Mother's Day. There is a Mari sailing cat rig most weeks also a well sailed 14sq. There is a 5.8 for sale locally for

Alternatively there are a few Hobies 14 and 16s and other roughies that sail informally out of Pallarenda and you see them there on and off on the weekends.

IMHO don’t limit yourself to a 14ft, with a slightly bigger boat you can comfortably go for a trip around the back side of Maggie with friends. Also its 6 weeks time to the Townsville Sprints and Round Magnetic Is race (24Nm).

Jon (Taipan 4.9 cat)

• 1 month later...

Hi. I sail around magnetic island in my capercat and yes there aren't too many of us around. It's a great day sailing stop around at horseshoe and have a beer and a feed, maybe a sleep on the beach. Stay the night or sail back home. That's what sailing is all about for me. Hope you have fun up here.

Archived