serial number for Hobie 14

aggy200

Hi,

i have just bought a hobie 14, previous owner cannot tell me the age (possibly over 10 years old) or even if the sail number is its original one.

Hulls dont look like the have been repaired so no coverups.

checked hobie website for id numbers and locations, but cannot find them anywhere, even the different standard for australia.

any advice?

I would like to give the right info to the insurance company

Regards

Trev

I do not thnk there have been any significant numbers of 14s built since 1990. So chances are it is older than that.

Most 14s have their number stamped on the rear upright pylon, between the deck and corner casting. 1500 about 1976, 4000 1983, and 5000 aboout 1987. Those figures are a bit rubbery.

A quick way to tell would be to have a look at how the bridal is fastened to each hull. If it is a 4 screw fitting on each bow then pre 1987 (Approx) if the fitting is attached by a single bolt then post 1987.

Also hull colours and metal anodising can help if original.

Hope this helps

Andrew

Condition, is the main factor with older boats, a new 14 is worth $12k on reg trlr, new sails $2-2.3 set, Mast $1k, I have seen well maintained 15-20 yr old boats worth $3.5k and others neglected worth $200 for parts. I would suggest min cover of $3.5k for a good second hand boat.

The hull number on Hobie 14s built in Australia prior to 1984 is stamped in the port side wall of the rear pylon i.e. the inner side of the starboard hull rear pylon and the outer side of the port hull rear pylon, the numbers are approximately 15 mm high. Some late 1970 boat have their hull number obscured by the tramp corner casting from attempts to rake the rig more by cutting down the rear pylon. If the hull number is below 999 you are looking at a pre 1973ish boat. Hull number 5053 was built in the second half of 1982. From 1985 to 1994 the hull number is a 4 digit moulded into the rear transom between the upper and low gudgeon using DYMO tape lettering and appears in a rectangle shape approximately 25mm X 9mm and the numbers are about 5mm high. From 1994 to 2001 the number is engraved in the top of the transom and have the prefix BB and the 4 numbers. From 2001 onwards (Hobie Cat Australasia has actually built any) the number will follow the coding as per the info you found on the web. There are two distinct sails the five batten sail number 39999 and below (batten pocket are not at the seam of each panel) on boats prior to the 1984 and six batten sail number 45000 and up (all batten pockets are part of the seam of each panel) Sail numbers 45000 to mid 50000 are made by Performance Yachts in NZ, mid 50000 upward are Neil Pryde of HK and 60000s are Hobie Cat USA. All the five battens are Neil Pryde, with exceptions being those non original manufacturer sails from other sail makers. There is more infor on the Hobie 14 in this thread: http://catsailor.net/forums/showthread.php?3826-how-do-you-tell-the-difference

Archived