Lake Eyre Yacht Club Regatta 10th to 15th July 2011

The Lake Eyre Yacht Club regatta is on again at the same campsite on Lake Killamperpunna, this site has been selected as it is on private property with no indigenous issues, here’s a link to the home page http://www.lakeeyreyc.com/

If you love camping in the outback with a pile of other like minded sailors that like a sail in the day time and a drink by the communal camp fires in the evening then make the trip. Should be over 50 cats and dinghy’s there, we’re planning to stack two 14ft Arrow Catamarans on top of our 16ft Mosquito on the tandem trailer, these are the ideal length of cat for the lakes though anything from 11ft upwards is great, last year there was a 22ft cabin catamaran there.

The sailing should be similar to last year with a sail up the Cooper Creek to the punt, a race down to where the Cooper Creek cuts the Birdsville track and race days on Lake Killamperpunna.

International sailors don’t need to be left out talk to Outback Spirit Tours, they’re top people here’s their link http://www.outbackspirittours.com.au/

They’re the sponsors of the event again and can handle the logistics of getting you there.

• 2 weeks later...

Lake Killamperpunna is a big Lake about 5km x 7km, water level is supposed to be about a foot lower than last year so lake will be 2-3 metres, it seems to be shallower at the Eastern end where the Lake emptys towards Lake Eyre, most of the time you will have boards all the way down on any boat, Cooper Creek itself is plenty deep enough, apparently its over 5 metres towards the punt. Trailer sailers can launch at the punt and sail down the Creek and moor about 20-50 metres from the edge. Sailing down that creek was the highlite of my trip winding down watching the birds, a pile of other cats and then when I was on the Lake I watched a kite boarder come blasting down the creek with the kite coming straight down the creek and him weaving through the obstacles absolutey fantastic.

I tried to type in Lake Eyre into "where Is" does not recognise the place.

As I am new to sailing and come across this site, i am looking forward to going next year.

Could someone post the GPS co-ordinates of where everyone meets so i can load my GPS ?

Trev

What a fantastic trip, who would have believed a 5.8 and Infusion racing on he Cooper Creek along with 25 other cats or sailing through the trees along the Birdsville Track and out in plenty of wind. Thanks for coming Niso and Kyle. aggy200 just go to Google Maps, type in Lake Eyre and it will come up. I think I have the coordinates for the regatta site on Lake Killamperpunna but if you just type in that name on Google Maps it will bring the right lake up just will list the wrong name on it. A few of us drove 260km from the regatta site and sailed on Lake Eyre on Friday fantastic place

post-22882-13776299328723_thumb.jpg

Archived