Help needed with Nacra 5.8 Downhaul setup and down wind sailing tips?

madboutcats

G'day I recently got 1626 and am more used to the clean decks of the Taipan 5.7 I had. I'm thinking of changing the downhaul to the mast cleats instead of the deck cleats, is there a disadvantage in changing? I feel I'm slow downwind even though the jib telltales are streaming is the jib leach supposed to be reasonably tight or a bit loose? Can anybody give me tips on down wind setup, how tight to have the jib downhaul?

All help appreciated

Hi Jeff, Boat was set up for skipper to work the downhaul while crew works the main. Later boats have a large cut out in the tramp by the cleats and mast base so all those ropes go under the tramp. Just requires a trip to the sailmaker to modify what you have. Cleats on the mast are a pain as the sheeting angle changes as the mast rotates. In the end it is just about who does what on the boat.

jeff you need to wild thing it going down wind and mast cleats are the go

Why ? Don't see how mast cleats help you to wild thing?Once the down haul is adjusted going round the top mark ,you would not need to touch it till the bottom mark,crew trims headsail ,skipper plays main..no time for touching downhaul. ,you only work the down haul going upwind and mast cleats are a pain in the ass for this.

Thanks for the replies, the way the boats set up at the moment I hand the main sheet to the crew and then I play the downhaul sheet which goes through a cleat and fairlead near the centreboard. I can see the merit in this system just dont trust my wife with the mainsheet. I'm going to work out how to get all the ropes under the tramp and would love to attach the jib blocks leads to the tramp like my old 5.7 but doubt that the 5.8 tramp would carry the load from the big jib. Spot on Yarra Bay I love doing the wild thing

downhaul

The best system for the downhaul is on the goose marine site at goosemarine.com.au this can go either on top of or under the trap. it is an endless system adjustable on the gunnel . On our boat the crew works it up wind but down wind we have just enough tension on it to take out the wrinkles. Sailing well downwind is all about the universal joint between the tiller and the deck.

This is the link to the article http://www.goosemarine.com.au/_content/documents/general/11%20nacra%20downhaul

• 4 weeks later...

Archived