hydra v cobra 5 metre cats

cruise08

G'day, Sure there are Hydras for sale. But I ask "Why would you want one?" they are very heavy for their size, there is no active class association, therefore no racing. On the other hand the Cobra is still actively sailed in Aus and is available in either fibreglass or plywood, or you can buy a set of plans and build it yourself. Both crew on trapeze against the Hydra with only one on trap. Given the choice between the two boats I would go for the Cobra, being more buoyant and therefore dryer. Just my thoughts, others on here may and probably will have differing opinions. In fact you may even be told to ring "the boys at BCC". regards Harry

I have plenty of fun on my Hydra single handed, you can fly one hull and sit on the side quite easily without the trapeze. I t does go a lot faster 2 up, had it up to 14 knots SOG once and the crew had no idea what to do. There may be a few too many ropes & stuff for a beginner though.

I could even be pursuaded to accept $1200 for it, it is fibreglass and in quite reasonable cond.

I am thinking a laser might suit me better with my spinal problem.

[This message has been edited by Penno (edited 24 February 2008).]

Originally posted by becjm:

Hey guys

Also don't rule out the mosquito.

Big fleet in vic,nsw has 4-5 raceingand even a couple in qld.

You can sail them Cat,sloop even 10+ mozzies out there with spi.

They can be purchaced new foam sandwich,wood also. See web page for new or second hand.

Cheers Ben.

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~mosquito/

I believe the question was Hydra vs Cobra, not how many other classes are out there. This is not meant to denigrate Mosquito's but the person posing the question obviously had a reason for doing so.

Harry

Hi Harry,

go easy. The heading was Hydra V Cobra 5m cats. I thought it was asking about similar 5m cats. It's not like Ben was suggesting a F16 or Taipan he is talking about a very similar 5m cat, at similar age and price brackets, I won't enter the speed argument though.

Just because the Mossie is not seen much up North doesn't mean it shouldn't be a option, if it represents value to a potential cat owner.

Regards Gary.

I agree that Mozzie is an option (I own one, as well as Mari 4.8, Hobie Getaway and a 14' skiff ..damn, nearly forgot the Stingray, though it's in bits at the moment). all I said was that the question related Hydra vs Cobra not Hydra vs Cobra and any other 5m cat. I would be the last person to belittle anyone for sailing what they sail. We all sail differing boats for whatever reason at the time of purchase, obviously money always always rears it's ugly head, or maybe the decision is based on what is actively sailed in the area where you live. No offence was intended nor to enter into a flame war with anyone.

keep the peace, Harry

Maybe a good reply would be "What are you looking for?"

But... to answer the original question....

From the VYC archives Cobra a touch quicker but at 84.5 and 85 there's not much in it.

I don't sail either class and am not promoting any!

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited 24 February 2008).]

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited 24 February 2008).]

Archived