Building a tralier

shwell

I had an aluminium trailer built commercially in Darwin in 1981 for an A class. I still have it, the trailer that is, not the boat. It has done many kms over the years traversing the Country, including double decking 2 A's a couple times to Melb and Sydney.

Aluminium cetainly lasts a long time, and is light. But as you would know it is not cheap. I think the trailer cost me $1,300 27 years ago, excluding sail boxes and wiring.

Because the trailer plus boat is so light I had the wheel base made as wide as possible. This gives added stability in cross winds. I have heard of a taipan + trailer being blown completely upside down in a blow, and that was when the car wasn't moving.

As you probably know, aluminium is 1/3 the mass of steel, but 1/2 the strength, thus the net advantage. But it also work hardens easier than mild steel, so you ought to make sure the joints and welds are thought out nicely. Use gussets and brackets etc to spread loads at point-loads, and don't over-weld it. If you do mostly local driving on smooth roads it's not too critical, but corrugations and rough roads will be - but then why would you need to put an A through that?

What suspension are you thinking of? The Alko rubber type should bolt on well, but then you have to consider the corrosion between that gal steel and the al frame.

Archived