Online wind vane.

Are there any online weather sites that show wind direction and speed in real time, like on the cable TV weather channel? A wind speed history for the day be good to see as well. You could look it up when you got home to see exactly how strong the wind was when you were out sailing. I sail around Moreton bay Brisbane. I sailed to Moreton Island today (only took just over an hour) I’m curious to know how strong the wind was. They forecast 15-20K but it seemed a bit less?? (I’m no expert at guessing wind strength yet). I ask because I think it’s important to be able to relate the forecast wind strength with actual ocean conditions smile.gif

Guest THING

DENN1S,

I KNOW YOU ARE KEEN TO LEARN ALL YOU CAN ABOUT SAILING YOUR 5.8 BUT JUST AS A MATTER OF INTEREST WHEN YOU SAILED TO MORETON ISLAND YESTERDAY DID YOU LET ANYBODY FROM H.Y.C.OR THE COASTGUARD KNOW WHERE YOU WERE GOING. LET ME TELL YOU IF YOU DROP A RIG OUT THERE YOU ARE NOT AN EASY FIND ESPECIALY IF NOBODY KNOWS WHERE TO START LOOKING FOR YOU, JUDGING BY YESTERDAYS FORECAST IT WAS NOT A WISE DICISSION.EVEN THOUGH THE BREEZE DID NOT EVENTUATE.IF YOU WANT TO DO THESE SORTS OF TRIPS ALONE THEN MAY I SUGGEST YOU PURCHASE AN EPERB AND A MARINE RADIO , FOR YOUR OWN SAFTY.

THING.

I was confidant of the rig not breaking. I checked everything thoroughly. I have new stays and diamond wires etc. I have an EPERB. It’s a trip I have done many times in various sailboats. I have even done it in an open kayak, took 4.5 hours though. Are you a member of HYC? I am in the process of getting insurance so I can join.

Ps, what’s wrong with your caps lock button?

Guest no name

I WAS GOING TO SAY THE SAME THING.

I HAVE SEEN BOATS BREAK UP IN MORTETON BAY IT CAUSED ALL SORTS OF PROBLEMS TO TRY TO FIND THEM. WEATHER AND CONDITIONS CAN CHANGE PREATY FAST ON THE BAY AND BECOME RATHER SCARY.

NO NAME

Dennis...I sail a N5.8 also and am the Webmaster at Kurnell Catamaran Club (Sydney)...but originally grew up in Margate QLD (great sailing there)...but I digress...there are several places you can get weather from. We use "the weather channel" www.weather.com...you might be abale to convince Humpybong to put an icon on their Website. (Its free). Also if you go to the Bureau of Meterology and look at:-

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ65117.html

you can look at individual weather stations and their observations(including avg wind speed and gusts)...which at worst are only 60 mins old and show history of past 72 hours by hour.

Cheers

Doug L

Nacra 5.8 #1602

That’s exactly what I was looking for DWL, thanks. I live in Mabel st, Margate, across the road from Humpybong School... it's a small world. Wind was mid to high teens when we done the crossing, just as I expected. We had a great sail.

Thanks for showing some concern guys. I will be more careful in the future. Longer trips just appeal to me more than round the buoys, but I can’t wait to start racing either! BTW, I have been sailing around Moreton bay nearly all my life… only not in a beach cat. The N5.8 sliced through the waves like they were not even there. I was most impressed with the performance compared to a monohull.

Who’s up for the next crossing? I recon it would be great to have a few cats sail across the bay in the morning, have a rest at Tangalooma resort then head back… safety in numbers. None of my mates boats will be able to keep up!! smile.gif

Guest Thing

Dennis, Good to hear you had an eperb and that your rigging was in good repair. It is much better exercise to venture those distances with two or more boats. Yes I am a member of HYC and hold major concern for safety of all. Good suggestion for long distance sailing but issues greater than us are always in the balance. Great Sailing Thing..

Guest Berthos2

Thing and Noname,

Just a friendly word about net etiquette. Writing in capital letters is akin to SHOUTING and is considered somewhat impolite just as shouting into someones face would be.

Good to hear on this forum, keep the posts coming.

Rob Wilson

Taipan 4.9 AUS175

Guest Berthos2

Thing and Noname,

Just a friendly word about net etiquette. Writing in capital letters is akin to SHOUTING and is considered somewhat impolite just as shouting into someones face would be.

Good to hear on this forum, keep the posts coming.

Rob Wilson

Taipan 4.9 AUS175

Thats really good there Rob, as you make that nice double post, very akin to spam smile.gif

Regarding the sea-worthyness of a nacra 5.8, We had our state titles this weekend for all cats. In one of the races, we were the only boat to complete the course. The conditions were 25-35knots and 2.5m swells, with chop on top.

By the same token there are so many little things that can go wrong on any cat that can make it difficult/impossible to sail on.

always sail in numbers, its the only way.

Guest Berthos2

I tried to edit my post and because I didn't log in I was unable to. Instead it posted it a second time.

The last line of my post should read:

Good to hear [you] on this forum, keep the posts coming.

Rob.

HooD, how come you sail around in 35 knots. At this years Nats, it was a big panic if it was going to get over 22.5 (not from A.S.C., but from some of the other Nacra & F18 sailors).

Are you sure you are not looking at the km/h scale on the meter?

Wilson we have *those* sailors here too, although there is nothing wrong with not wanting to go out and risk life and limb for a trophy.

I think we can safely say it was very close to 35knots, there was Taipan 4.9 sailing around with the main almost unused, powering up off the jib, they were 2 on wire and out of control!

I find heavy weather sailing challenging, always have done. Its not just about all out speed, and performance, but knowing the limits of the boat, and finding them.

A lot of my freinds find 30+ scary, to me its just a thrill. To date i havnt broken any bones, of myself or crew, though many bruises, and im yet to drown smile.gif

The trick with extreme winds is, going to windward keep plenty of boat speed, so the boat doesnt bounce so hard, and downwind, have soemthing in reserve for the big gusts.

Archived