Launching Cat in SE Qld

Kurt P

Hi guys,

We have jus tbought our first cat, a Nacra 4.5 and as we are new to this in Brisbane, was wondering the best places to rig and launch it.

We are located close to Manly and will do most of our sailing in the Bay but will want to venture to other areas as time goes by.

Cheers

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

Im glad to hear that you got a Nacra 4.5.

Try Raby Bay, there is a good launching area along Masthead Drive. I used to back the trailer up to the low fence and roll the boat onto the grassed area to rig. There are a few small beaches to launch from.

From this point it is a short sail to Peel Island.

Brad

Hi Kurt,

I agree with Brad, Masthead Drive on Raby Bay is good, as you'll generally have the area to yourself. theres plenty of parking. Heaps of area to rig up with no overhead power lines, and it's only a short 50 metre walk across teh grass to get the boat onto the beach for launch.

Only negative is low tide if you intend staying close in to shore, otherwise no problems at all, and its a easy sail around to Horseshoe Bay on Peel Island, which is the jewel of the bay. I was there on Saturday for a while. It was sunny, high tide, just magic!

The next best launch spot (IMHO), is the boat ramp next to Manly trailer boat club. There is a small sandy beach next to the ramp.

The only problem with this ramp is that coming back in in the afternoon, the small beach is often packed end to end with power boats, making your final approach to the beach a bit tricky if the wind isn't favourable.

Victoria Point is another great area to sail and explore, lots of islands not far from the ramp. Coochimudlo is a great spot to base your day sailing from as the island has a few beach front cafes where you can beach your cat and wander over and buy a hamburger for lunch, then go back out sailing.

On the north side Humpybong at Woody Point is excellent. Again plenty of room to rig up, a sandy beach to launch from, and there's good water depth once your out a little way from the beach regardless of whether your on a high or low tide. (Victoria Point and Raby Bay do require caution on low tide).

Hope to see you out there someday!

Cheers

Barry

kurt

call down to the Cleveland Yacht Club, on the point at Cleveland that way you can go for a sail and have the serurity of having a rescue boat, a big ramp, and plenty of people with nacras around you.

they sail on Sundays, this week is their Peel Island Marathon... a regatta not to be missed

Thanks guys,

pick up the boat Sat morning and plan on going out in the afternoon. Starting to get excited now.

How do yopu manage to get the boat over the small barrier at Raby Bay. Do you just drag it over or is it low enough to clear it?

Has Victoria Point got anywhere to rig or do you do it with all the speed boat people?

What about the multihull yacht club at Manly? They seem to have a nice rigging lawn close to the harbour entrance.

So many questions but the last time I sailed a cat was when I lived on Lake Macquarie and the boat was on the front lawn. All we did was put the sail up and we were on our way.

Just-me, saw the race was on this weekend, would have loved to come down but we have a christening to go to and it's not the boat. I assume you have to be a member to sail from there.

Cheers

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

I hope the weather will be good for your first sail on the 4.5 Saturday arvo.

As for getting a boat over the timber rails at Raby Bay. I roll the boat off the trailer onto the beach wheels keeping the beach wheels closer to the rear of the boat. I then walk the boat over to the railing, and lift the bows up and over until the railing is somewhere close to the centre of the boat. I then rest the hulls on the railing with the sterns supported on the beach rollers.

At that point the boat is pretty much balanced on the railing, so I then ease the bows down and let them rest on the grass, while I go around and get the beach rollers and place them under the bows. Then I lift the boat from the rear and walk it over onto the grassed area and rig up.

The Multi hull club would be another good spot to launch from, but I'd suspect you'd need to be a member to have access to the facilities?

Good luck on Saturday!

Cheers

Barry

Barry,

There's an easier way!

Just reverse the trailer up to the timber rails so that it is parked 90 degrees to the road. Once the trailer is unhitched from the car, the rear rollers sit above the timber rails. Set the beach wheels behind the trailer as usual and roll the cat off the trailer.

Brad

Dang gosh jolly there Brad, boy you've gone and wrecked my day showing me I've been doing it the hard way all this time ;)

Hang on a moe, ain't the only difference that I move the boat twice, while you move the car twice? (Barry grins).

I do admit I've only done this with my Maricat and the 4.5 is no doubt heavier, so backing the trailer up to teh rails would be the easier option with a heavier cat.

Cheers

Barry

Thanks Barry for your help on Saturday.

Thosoe tips will make life much easier next time we go out.

Have bee ngetting lots of early nights with a very bad ear infection.

Had a great day, perfect conditions.

hope yo uwent well oin the marathon round Peel Island.

Cheers

Kurt

Archived