Boardless Cats/Dingies

G'day All,

Our club is in desperate straights with low water levels in our lake and a continued future of the same.

So in looking to the future we now need to change our fleet of boats over to boardless types.

Well I know that Mari's, Windies, Nacra 4.5's meet this criteria but are their any other cats out there that are boardless? What about mono's. Any dingies with skeggs?

And what about rudders? I've seen in photo's flat squarish jobs on hire boats. How do they go? What happens when you rake your mast back with them etc/

Inland

Originally posted by Inland_Sailor:

G'day All,

Our club is in desperate straights with low water levels in our lake and a continued future of the same.

So in looking to the future we now need to change our fleet of boats over to boardless types.

Well I know that Mari's, Windies, Nacra 4.5's meet this criteria but are their any other cats out there that are boardless? What about mono's. Any dingies with skeggs?

And what about rudders? I've seen in photo's flat squarish jobs on hire boats. How do they go? What happens when you rake your mast back with them etc/

Inland

you best and most popular bet other than the ones you've already mentioned, not in any order would be....

calypso 14 or 16

hobie 14 or 16

caper 14 or 18

nacra 4.5 or 5.0

do know of any shallow draft monos!

Off the beach rudders can be fitted easy to Mari,s, using all existing fittings, Windies and hobies require a bit more work. All of these boats will sail sloop rigged with the standard rudders shortened by 10"-12", this is a trial and error thing only done if you have spare old blades. Adding Material (ply, timber or F/glass) to the leading edge of the blades below the pintles will reduce weather helm induced by mast rake. Ph (02)43591729 for more info/advice (All contributing to the price of a few sheets of marine ply to make disc rudders may be the cheapest option) Darcy.

Thanks for those quick replies!! After posting I thought of Hobies as well, but didn't think of the others as they seem to be sailed in Qld and we're in Vic.

In an ideal world we should all try to get the same class of boat.

Without wanting to to start up a stouch, [i have my own thoughts on this issue but let hear yours!!!!] what would you folk out there recommend and why?

Remember its inland water so weight is an issue, ie less weight the better. [but more sail/taller rig might do the

same.]

Inland

My pick would be Windrush and Maricat because of parts availability, (new and S/hand). Both of thes boats had large hire fleets fitted with disc rudders and have current associations racing in most states. Parts are cheaper than for Hobie, but all classes come with diferent probs. Good luck, good hunting. Darcy.

• 1 year later...

Archived