Wire Lengths for Mari 4.3

Varmint

Hi All,new guy here,just finished a rebuild of an old Mari,putting back together and it appears my wire lengths are all over the place. Tried to find info on the old cat but only Hobie info available,quite obviously the lengths are different.Contacted Brizzy Cat Centre,no luck there,would appreciate any info that can be passed on.Also when I stood on tramp to raise mast it pulled out of front beam although everything seemed tight beforehand.Does this mean my front beam is stuffed or can Ido something to rectify this.I reside in Adelaide(don't hold that against me)so any Adelaide contacts would be great.Cheers Varmint.

5.5m for the forestays 5m for the shrouds. This will provide a 'modern' raked mast and you may have to grind away the back of the mast step to allow the 'cone' to engage in the hole. Most people also grind away the sides too to allow greater mast rotation - in alignment with the shrouds is one angle I've read here.

This is Cat rigged, for anything else you'll have to ask the Great Darcy.

My set cost $80. It is usual in Mari's to have plastic coating on the shrouds, most have white, some have black.

The dolphin striker cable is also worth replacing as it takes a lot of load. It's thicker wire than the stays and you'd be best to measure it yourself. If you go from the end of the turnbuckle to the other side, make sure you allow for two Ronstan shackles, they do a small one that has a thin opening and a screw, can't remember the number but it has a high strength. It's very disconcerting to be barrelling along and hear the THUD as a bit of wire breaks off the swage! Mine was about $30 with the shacles.

Hope this helps

J

If you want to rig it for sloop, there are regs for the length of the wires making up the bridle that attaches to the bows, the specs are listed in the mari assoc website. The reasoning behind the lengths is to limit the sideways pull on the bows caused by the side stay. The side stay lengths are as for cat rigged. The only thing that will have to be made custom for sloop is the strop at the top of the jib, as there is not a set length for the jib forestay, in my three jibs the forestay lenght varies by 100mm, so I have 2 strops to accomdate that variation.

Hey Jimbo I like your use of the word "modern", welcome to the 21st century my friend.

PJ

Many thanks fellas, thats the best set of info Iv'e had yet ,been phoning around shops etc and no one seems to be too interested.Won't be racing for a while yet as I'm just a novice but once up to scratch will definately be giving it a shot,will re-rig then.I will be sloop rigging the old girl as I have the gear,just got to get onto those bridle lengths and those strops you mentioned,will check out that site shortly,again cheers for the help,awesome stuff,been a long project,almost ready to get a little wet.Will give you a call Darcy and talk then. Catch ya.

Archived