Are these genuine Maricat sails?

manderson

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/Img/Photos/Sailing/3443188.jpg

My sails look identical to these ones, infact, my cat is just like the one in the foreground with the light blue hulls. My sail is numbered 510, but I have been told by some that it may not be the original sail, and may well not be genuine either, despite having that logo on it. Does anyone know anything about these sails?

Thanks

Mark

Yes these are genuine maricat sails I am on 919 which I am still using as a club sail, it was originally 3919 which is Wayne Barrys sail No, Wayne was world Maricat champ many times over. 5555 is Mick (humungus) who is current world maricat champ. The light blue mari is pedro the pirate (pete breadon) who has also been world maricat cat rigged champ many times over as well, 4040 is Pat Cotrill and 4030 is his daughter and crew. If I recall this was the NSW/ACT maricat states held at Tanilba bay NSW in about 2007 or thats what it says on my trophy. If we had non maricat sails then we would have all been discqual, so I suppose they were legit.

Phil

Mark, if you look on the Maricat web site there is a drawing and measurements for the 'modern' sail shape which is what's in the pic. The mast rake is part of this movement so the sail had to be modified. An 'old' sail is slightly different - on my boat if I use the normal clew then the book will bang on the traveller - I have a D ring sewn in at a higher point which makes it ok.

The modern shape also has more area up at the top.

Most new Maricat sails are now white or radial cut with colours. if you look on the Maricat web site or the Mannering Park web site you will see lots of photos of racing and cruising Maricats all with legal sails.

Any sail maker can make a legal Maricat sail so long at it meets the Maricat sail specification. These measurements are set out on the Maricat website.

Most new Maricat sails are made by sail makers around Sydney or Lake Macquarie such as Redhead, Eastwind, Adams, Brewin and a bunch of others.

Sail numbers up to about 3000 will generally indicate the age of the boat but after that, a new number was issued with a new sail number.

If your sail is 510 and multicoloured and original then it is probably 35 years old !

A pic from Carcoar Dam of a few Maris

post-1857-13778265593406_thumb.jpg

Thanks very much for all the replies guys! I just remembered that I have pictures of my sail on that page I may have shown before. You will see it in about the bottom 3rd of this page: http://www.mdastudios.com.au/maricat/mystic.html

Pointed, I am led to believe, from Mick, and from someone who saw my photos and contacted me, that my Mari could be at least 35 years old. The person who contacted me said he used to own Mystic over 30 years ago, and he got it second hand at the time.

The photos show you a little more of her in her poor state. There is a photo of the label on the sail on there too, which may shed some light.

Thanks again for all the help

Mark

So, Mark, what's the objective here?

I own a Careel 18 and in that group there are people that have bought 'old bangers' and done them up. One guy bought a 'mooring minder' - did it up, sailed it for about six years then sold it on. On his boat (Aolean if you want to see it on Careel.com/forum) he had sanded out all the anti foul then sanded and polished the gelcoat until the boat looked like new.

You'll be able to do the same on your Mari if you wanted to.

As noted elsewhere, at Mannering Park we have no 16 which is as competitive as the latest foam boats.

There will be a cost of course and you'll spend more than you'll be able to get back if you want to sell at a later date. Once you've bought a new tramp and other bits and pieces and spent hours with a high pressure hose (take it to the carwash) and sandpaper and polish you'll have a boat that's as useable and functuional as a new $14000 foamy.

These cats have the advantage in that they are easy to rig single handed, are light(ish) and easy to launch and the Mari in particular is almost timeless, ie where #16 is as competitive as the latest boats. They are also numerous so it isn't hard to find spares and racing fleets if you want.

On the other hand if you just want something to sail occasionally take this one to the dump and buy a reasonable one that's been done up, probably for less than a grand. Make sure the trailer is registered (another easy path to overcapitalisation), the tramp is recent (and not resewn) and the sail is reasonable.

KO

PS here's the Careel link: http://www.careel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3485 that boat is 30 odd years old.

Archived