mainsheet question

Hi again,

I've got a newbie question about the mainsheet that i'm hoping someone can answer. The bottom block of my mainsheet has a cleat, but when I pull in the mainsheet, or let it out, this cleat doesn't engage - the cleat in the middle of the traveller locks the rope into position. Can someone tell me the purpose of the cleat on the bottom mainsheet block - i've just been ignoring it until now

Cheers,

Michael

There should be one cleat usually at the centre of the traveller which controls where the traveller is on its track, pull it tight and cleat and the traveller should be at or near the centre, off wind let it off so you can exert downforce on the sail (bit like a boom vang).

The one on the mainsheet block (my maricat has a triple block where the centre roller is on a ratchet) the mainsheet comes out and through a saddle that's attached to the cleat. As I pull the mainsheet if I pull slightly up it engages with the cleat which opens and when I let go it holds the mainsheet in place.

The position of the cleat can usually be adjusted up and down, this allows you to adjust it so that the mainsheet doesn't always lock into the cleat every time you pull it (ie the cleat is too low) or the mainsheet is always bearing on the saddle and you have to reach really high to engage the cleat.

Usually the cleat is upside down so you engage with an upward pull and disengage with a downward pull.

Positioning of the cleat is relatively hard since when the traveller is all the way down (reaching or running) the block tends to 'stand up' more making it harder to disengage.

Hope this helps.

Its a personal thing. I'm a cleater. Some guys never cleat. So they are always holding the mainsheet with tension.

You can adjust the cleat angle up or down by loosening the screws on either side of the block body and the cleat arm will eventually move( after liberal dosing of WD40).

Adjusting the angle will determine when the cleat comes into play. Don't have it to low as you will never be able to release.

Thanks for your help guys. The guy who I bought my boat from has it setup so that the cleat on the lower block doesn't engage (unless I pull the rope up inbetween this cleat and the cleat in the middle of the traveller). In what circumstances would I engage the cleat on the block? Is it's purpose to pull the boom down, like a boom vang?

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks for your help guys. The guy who I bought my boat from has it setup so that the cleat on the lower block doesn't engage (unless I pull the rope up inbetween this cleat and the cleat in the middle of the traveller). In what circumstances would I engage the cleat on the block? Is it's purpose to pull the boom down, like a boom vang?

Cheers,

Michael

Michael, that is pretty standard on a boat set up for racing. In theory the traveller and vang can be set for the conditions and point of sail and cleated, however, when racing the mainsheet is played constantly so the cleat is located in such a way to stop it engaging when you don't intentionally pull the rope into it. Some people take the cleat right off, others like the previous owner of your boat will rotate it up out of the way but leave it attached so it can be used while adjusting other controls (like the vang and traveller).

Having said all that, I'm still not quite sure as from your desciption it sounds weird even for this arrangement, so I'll second the call for a photo.

Archived