Another Rules chat, when does stb have to give way to port

darcy1945

10 kts breeze, Mixed fleet (Cat, Sloop and Spinnaker rigs of all sizes and speeds) when the small cats usually sail directly mark to mark (reaches and runs) and big cats, sloops and spinn rigs tack downwind for best speed. SCENARIO 1, STBD course, LEEWARD mark, Port tack cat rig 14' in the zone (5m from mark,running square, speed 5 kts, in the process of gybing to round the mark on stbd) Stbd tack F18 or similar, outside the zone (say 15m from mark) best reaching speed (15kts?) only has to harden up once he rounds. Who is in the right? Rule 18.1 (b) says Rule 18 does not apply between boats on opposite tacks when the proper course at the mark is for 1 but not both of them to tack (Tack, definition, a boat is on the tack corresponding to her windward side) Gybe is not defined, but would seem to be the same definition, ie, a boat is on a gybe corresponding to her windward side.

Sailing Anarchy is our friend here:

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=135981

all about almost exactly what your're asking Darcy. I think the poster Delta Blues is an International Judge or jurist. Sometimes its difficult to tell who is or is not.

But, rule 18 isn't turned off because it's not an exception, remember that 18 only switches off in a beat to windward, not any other leg.

My answer the port tack boat inside the circle has the right to sail to the mark and the right to have enough room to manouvre (gybe) etc. As soon as she passes the mark the windward/leward and rule 16 rules apply.

J

michaelobe007, DVD sounds interesting, where can I find one? The same situation described above can also happen at the leeward mark on PORT courses, when big cats are tacking downwind on their windward return, and the 14s are on the final (Port) reach of their triangle.

Archived