Any Windrush 14s on the Mornington Peninsula?

NACRAJON

Moving to Rockingham WA in Jan 13, currently sail a Taipan but none are sailed in WA so I will probably move classes. At this stage it seems my most likely choices are a Windy 14 or a Hobie 16 (I want to join a solid fleet and will be sailing with my 7 yr old son). Right now both don't really excite but I want to have a sail and try and approach it with an open mind.

If you have a foam windy around Mornington area I would like to have a go on it, I can offer an exchange sail on a Taipan.

Jon 0419201133

Hi Jon

There is a fleet of Windrush that sail from Safety Bay club just 5 min from Rockingham club and a fleet at Shelly club on the river. There are strong fleets out of town down at Denmark and up at Dongara and Carnarvon. There was a foam W14 for sale a few months ago here in WA.

Sailing A H16 in WA with a 7 yr old could be a handfull at times, depends on how brave your boy is on the wire. There is a fleet at Nedlands club on the river.

Windrush have just released a square top main and kite kit which would make a good sloop boat for a 7 yr old to crew on.

One of my sons crewed for me on a W14 from 8 yrs to 12 an a half and now he is skippering his own W14 with another boy. The W14 has been good boat for us, it can be sailed Cat, Sloop & Super sloop so its versatile.

Regards

Quin

There will be another tipan in perth on the 6 of next month ... ill be sailing at nedlands sailing club.... windrush is a massive backstep, i have one as a mucK around boat .. they sink the leward hull as soon as the wind pick up when you have one big person or two small and are very frustrating to sail.. nacra 430 4.5 5.0 or 5.2 would be a much beter option..

Quinn,

Thanks for the heads up on the windrush, yeah it seems like the logical choice and I have seen them in 25kts + and it looks like great fun. It you choose the right conditions to go out in it wouldn't be too scary for a young fella.

I want a sail on one though to help firm up my mind, after the Taipan most things are a step backwards and the Taipan is the best looking thing this side of an 'A'. It will be hard to give it up.

Clarkie,

Thanks for the heads up about the other Taipan, my major concern is I will have too much sail area in WA with a small kid, I currently sail two up cat rig but it doesnt give him too much to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jon, Nedlands SC has about 20 Hobie 16s sailing, get a good one in the east take it there and they will teach you how to sail fast and in a big fleet, sell it for what you paid after two years, then your next posting you will be able to get the local boat type and kick some butt, http://www.nyc.org.au/Download-document/247-Hobie-Welcome-Pack-2011-2012.html cheers Peter

Archived