New Seawind 1160 VS Perry 43 secondhand

Reet34

Hi there,

We are planning to sail away for 3-5 years out of Australia and far far away...

Currently looking at New Seawind or older but larger Perry 43. I'd be interested to hear others opinions on the pros and cons of each. Obviously brokers will tell me the strengths based on the boat they are selling so would love to hear from others who may have sailed either or have an opinion anyhow.

First time posting!

Cheers Reet34

Two very different Perrys, I'm not sure about the 43 but IIRC most of the early Perrys are Grainger designs. What is the background of the second hand boat. If it is ex-charter make sure it is really cheap and multiply its age by 10 when comparing it to second hand boats that haven't been in charter.

Thanks for responding.

Below is the link to the Perry we are currently looking at. She has been built for private use but put into charter recently. Perry seems to have proven track record on open water and larger size would make for more comfort.

http://www.yachtbroker.com.au/listing.php?dealer=mycb&ToDo=show_details&cate=All&de=115240

The Seawind 1160 although smaller would be new and custom built to suit Blue Water and Charter work.

http://www.seawindcats.com/

If anyone has sailed in the 1160 or Perry 43 in rough weather I would be very keen to hear how boat handled and what peoples thoughts are on purchasing either vessel.

Thanks so much to the two responses so far I will certainly look to different forum.

Cheers Moreeta

3500 is a lot of hours on a 9 year old sailing boat, more than 1 hour per day every day of its life and suggests it has in fact been in charter for quite a bit of its life so if you went that path I'd get it checked very carefully by at least one surveyor before you make an offer.

I'm a big fan of the galley down layout of the Perry for blue water sailing as it is far more useable in rough weather.

However, it is hard to go past a new boat and the Seawinds have a lot of runs on the board.

Hi CTMD

We are going to test drive a Seawind this weekend and see how she feels for size. I have always said over 40ft for safety and comfort but unfortunately a Seawind 1250 is out of pricerange and no second hand ones on the market. Thanks for advice.

Hi there,

We loved the Seawind a beautiful boat - we were very impressed.

So decision made a Seawind over a Perry.

Next question for us will be secondhand and no charter work or buy a new one and put into charter....

Thanks for advice it was helpful =)

I'm going to get in trouble from people with an interest in the answer here but despite the advertising charter isn't a cheap and quick way into a boat. If you plan is buy the boat, sail it around the world then put it in to charter then that is ok. If you're thinking "buy a boat put it into charter for a while to help pay for it then use it", don't! An average boat (privately owned gets 30-50 days use per year by a loving owner. A charter boat gets 300-350 days use per year by people who couldn't give a shit about it. So after 2 years in charter your pride and joy is effectively 14-20 years old and as a result you don't know what sort of condition it will be in when you get it back. With this in mind if charter has to be a factor in your choice then you are better buying an ex-charter boat that you can get surveyed than putting a new boat into charter and not knowing what you'll get back.

Archived