Nacra F16 Info

I'm seriously considering buying a nacra f16 as ive herd the viper still has the tipan problem of being nosey in a breaze , i just cant find any info on them are they as fast as viper, what are they like to sail ect! anything would help.

Cheers

Hi Clarkie,

The viper is a very powered up boat and being only 16 feet long means that if you arent on to it will spit you when it gets windy. But thats all part of the fun. It certainly doesnt mean that its slow. The secret is to keep pushing hard downwind even if its super windy. As soon as you chicken out and back off you will find yourself swimming. I wouldnt expect the nacra to be any different. Bris cat centre has one sitting in the show room and i heard a rumour that you could get a hell deal on it. Great looking boat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Sailed our Viper against two Nacra f16s at the national in January. I could not notice any difference in pointing or speed. I think the viper has set the benchmark and similar to the F18s there's not much between the different manufacturers.

The best part is you have choice, and that makes everything better. So it comes down to the same old things product support, resale, and a good second hand deal.

Hi beau it was our two nacras at the nationals.  Both boats have not had much time on the water (it was only my second time on the boat).  We really haven't had the opportunity to get them into a setup window that works and I think they have a lot more speed in them - just need someone to take an interest in them and spend some time to get them setup properly.  I think the N16 seems to be a little less nosey (i think due to the rocker)  than the Viper I saw a couple of close calls downwind on the Vipers whereas we had only had one "incident" on our boat which we recovered from without capsize (crew did teach me some new words)  .  Your comment regarding product support is relevant , the VIPER being an AU boat has better access to new and used parts where as most of ours have to be airfreight in.  I bent a mast on the last day of the nationals , we were very fortunate that Brisbane Catamarans had an new one in stock other wise it would have been a very long wait for a replacement one.   

we have a Mk2 N16 arriving later this month so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Archived