Replacement Rig from a Nacra

Inland_Sailor

I'm thinking of an "Off the Shelf" modern replacement rig for my Windrush 600 and its been suggested that a Nacra rig or combination of rigs/sails may possibly be suitable, so I'm doing a little background research here.

For those who dont know the W600 it's a 6m long, 2.5 wide, 300kg trailable cat, built in the early 80's and carries an 8.5m [28'] tall, 125mm [5'] deep rotating mast. [ See http://lswsa.org.au/windrush-600-pages/] They sail sloop rigged and [in my case] flies both an asymmetrical kite from a movable pole and and a symmetrical kite. We sail her 3 up and carry 2 trapeze.

I'm looking for a taller more powerful square top rig to improver the W600's upwind performance which is fairly moderate. [22.3m2 area of main and jib] There are no such problems off the wind. [bTW there are no class restrictions for these cats.]

Can anyone here advise me on the largest ie tallest/strongest combination of mast and boomless [squaretop] mainsail from Nacras that might meet my needs?

Thanks

Inland

Give Brett at windrush a call, they used to have a rack full of your mast extrusion and IIRC they were 12m extrusions, so you may be best off starting with that then working backwards to achieve your goals.

Another good stop would be CST composites they have a range of suitable madrels (as used on Macca's super tiapan and the small Farriers) and could definately make one to suit.

Thanks CTMD for your post. I've gone down that path with my thought process and I know that Bret would be able to help me out, and I may yet end up going down that path.

However, as I wrote in my previous post, something off the shelf would be good for a number of obvious reasons, including sourcing second hand and for accessing spare parts. The likely hood of a range of suitable sails in a large production setup like the Nacra range is far greater than a one off setup.

It maybe that I'll find something across in the Hobie neighbourhood

Inland

Thanks CTMD for your post. I've gone down that path with my thought process and I know that Bret would be able to help me out, and I may yet end up going down that path.

However, as I wrote in my previous post, something off the shelf would be good for a number of obvious reasons, including sourcing second hand and for accessing spare parts. The likely hood of a range of suitable sails in a large production setup like the Nacra range is far greater than a one off setup.

It maybe that I'll find something across in the Hobie neighbourhood

Inland

This may be a bit left field , how about a 18 ft skiff rig , they are long enough , light and plenty of 2nd hand sails and rigging . A lot of racing cats don't have rotating rigs , we had a 18 ft skiff rig on a farrier 720 tri I use to sail on , had no dramas at all with the strength of the rig . Other option would be maybe a tornado mast section but my opinion would be that this could be a little underdone with the weight of your boat.

Archived