Leaking hull - any tips please?

What the?

Hi all, I am a newby to this forum so thanks for taking the time to read.

I have recently purchased a second hand Hobie 14 (my very first boat!) and on my first sail discovered that the left hull has a leak. After three hours of sailing it had a fair bit (litres) of water in the hull. I had a fairly good look for any signs of delamination or cracking but couldn't see anything. It is in pretty good nick and has been well looked after but obviously there is some spot it is coming in.

Can anyone suggest a way of working out where the leak is coming from and an easy fix?

Thanks all.

This advice was given to me by Harry (Loosechange) on another forum:

If you can't get to take it out for a sail then at the very least attach a bit of hose to the rear drain plug and blow while having an assistant pour soapy water over any area that could be suspect of leaking, paying particular attention to the hull to deck join seam.

• 2 months later...

Hills has it but don't do the blowing with an air compressor, this may make the situation worse. Hatch covers without gaskets are a good culprit and on the Hobie the beam attachment points might be also. On Mari's the rivetted tramp tracks are a good source of leaks.

Doesn't need two, just a short bit of hose and a spray (with soapy water). You might also find that the gaskets around the bung plugs are problems too. Water is quite determined when there's a lot of pressure.

Archived