Buying a Pre-Loved Nacra

OldSalt

Well, I am looking into buying a used Nacra to sail with my adult sons. I'm rationalising my sporting interests; I still have my KTM dirt bike, but am getting rid of the surf kites (I never really mastered), the inflatable surf boat, the old 4X4, and the old Hobie 14 and am ready to get into a larger cat. I've sailed dingies and old monohulls many years ago, a 22ft Trailable yacht went last year and I still sail on a 38ft Farr keelboat. I've had a few beach cats and love playing in the surf. On the bay, I usually waited for all the other yachts to come in after the wind cropped up, and then I'd get my cat out. Sailed solo trap in a sloop rigged 14ft surfcat 20 years ago and loved it. I'm ready for another adventure.

I have been looking at Nacras, but in Victoria, the supply is limited. My market is about $3000 to $5000. I want something that is exciting, but not too hard to sail, my sons (20 to 27 years old) are novice sailors and I don't want the learning curve to be too tough. I don't necessarily want to race, but we may in the future.

I'd like some opinions about the best options to look at. I don't want the latest and greatest, but I want to avoid buying an old "money pit". At the moment I am favouring a Nacra 5.8. My only concern is that it might be too much of a powerhouse with an inexperienced crew. I am told by a few that they are still fairly forgiving and worth a shot. The 5.0 seem a little small for 2 90kg+ adults but may be ok for a casual sail and a trap in a good wind. The 5.2's I have seen appear a little too old.

There are a few local 5.8's advertised at present and one 5.2 a bit further north. So options are limited and I may need to travel to get what I want.

Your opinions are welcomed.

And also any suggestions of boats for sale would be appreciated. I live near Geelong

Nacra 5.8, a good tough boat, not for the faint hearted in any breeze over 10kts, original small jib makes them a little more docile, dolphin striker critical part of boat , if you replace nothing else on an old boat replace the dolphin striker or you will be replacing the front beam and possibly more. Another good option is a Hobie 18, a lot more forgiving and with a furling genoa can be sailed solo, carefully, (takes a big, 120kgs plus to right them) again, make sure the dolphin striker adjustment is free (The alloy end caps corrode around the stainless striker rod) do not over tighten or the front beam will crack under the mast base. Both these boats are good load carriers, and in your price range.

• 3 weeks later...

Old Salt,

My son's and I got into the Nacra 5.8 6 years ago. We have had a lot of fun with ours. They are easy to sail, but yes, can get up and go if you want them to. My boys, both then late teens, really enjoyed getting out on the trapese lines. All three of us had minimal sailing experience, but we just sailed the the boat to our abilities. As we got better, we were able to sail the boat better. It grew with us.

We never raced, as there was nobody race against, but it was a jolly fun boat to sail. Sadly, we are needing to put her up for sale, as my boys have moved on, we have relocated, and the wife and I need a smaller boat. Unfortunately we are in WA, so a bit far away for you. But I would recommend the Nacra 5.8 any day!

Claws

Thanks for the reply and I apologise for the slow response, but I have quite a bit going on at present.

I bought an '87 Nacra 5.8 last weekend which is in great condition, but I am going over it at the moment checking it out before I venture out on the water. I'll make sure I check out the dolphin striker as you suggested. Thanks

Thanks Claws, I bought a 5.8 last weekend. It's in good condition but I'm going over her at the moment to make sure she is 100% ready for action.

Has your Nacra got a spinnaker? Mine came with a spinnaker, but its not set up(no pole or rigging). I neet to get some info on how to rig it up.

Archived