Paper Tiger Beams - Fabrication

Nick Mitchell

To add some clarity, I do believe that it is the grade of aluminium that is the correct question to ask. I was under the impression that the beams may be manufactured using a complex alloy similar to that used in aircraft and zepplin construction.

Nevertheless, a serious question and I hope some one can guide me.

Don't you just rock up to the local State association and buy them from them. I seem to recall something like $25 for the beams (a little more if you need holes in them - more for less as it were). Maybe that's just old information on their web site. Can't think that you could get allum for less than that.

Buy here. These beams are reportedly 6106 T6, which is a very soft (think aluminium ladder) and designed for easy accurate extrusion (would be great if getting a batch of beams with built in travellers).

Proof Stress 195 MPa

Tensile Strength 245 MPa

Elongation 14 %

Shear Strength 140 MPa

Hardness Vickers 80 Min HV

by comparison 6061 T6

Proof Stress 270 MPa

Tensile Strength 310 MPa

Elongation 12 %

Shear Strength 190 MPa

Hardness Vickers 100 HV

even better is 6082 T6

Proof Stress 310 MPa

Tensile Strength 340 MPa

Elongation 11 %

Shear Strength 210 MPa

Hardness Vickers 100 HV

Which has the added advantage of being more corrosion resistant. 6082 is basically the standard these days for aluminium extrusions in commercial vessels.

• 3 weeks later...

CTMD: I don't know where you got your information from, but my information from Capral says that 6106 T6 identical to 6061 grade - both in proof stress and tensile strength.

The problem that I have been told with 6082 T6 grade is that there is something about the strength of it that doesn't suit Paper Tigers. Yes the strength is better, but I believe the constant twisting that our beams are subjected to can cause cracking. Although it does have the added corrosion resistance.

The ones for sale through the PT's online shop: http://shop.papertigercatamaran.org are 6106 T6 grade with 20micron anodising (hence a higher price, but they will last much longer). I have had a pair of non-anodised beams on my boat for 7 years and are now too corroded and will need to be replaced.

Those numbers came from one of my textbooks from uni.

BV (Bureau Veritus) allow the use of these numbers:

Yield stress 240 MPa

Tensile strength 260 MPa

Yield stress 250 MPa

Tensile strength 290 MPa

Yeild strength 195 MPa

Tensile strength 240 MPa

From the data I have Lloyd's don't appear to allow 6106, so don't publish data for it. It should also be noted that they strongly discourage the use of 6061 in contact with sea water. Thick anodising is definately worth the expence and probably offsets the structural advantage of the other materials.

Well I got the aluminium. From Capral. Cutting the 45º angles at perfect length was not as simple as I'd thought. The look on the disgruntled Capral employee's head when I asked for 45º cuts was, in itself, worth the $88. They don't do 45º cuts. I have been made very aware of that!

The beams the PT Org have are very good value for money given they are perfectly cut and anodised. For me it was the "climb the mountain" challenge.

I have a contact who will anodise mine. I'm waiting until all the holes are drilled, then I'll buff them up to "showroom condition" then get them anodised.

Upon reflection, I would have bought, for not much more $$, the higher tensile aluminium. Live and learn.

Anyway that's the current plan...

Thanks to all for your input. I hope these posts are of value to other newbie PT do-er-up-ers.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HonFleellalor

The difference, which has been brought, in the lives of women, by Juicy Couture has really shaped up the lives of women and now the Juicy Couture purses have really pampered the living style of women, living across the globe. That is because even though WhiteSmoke has disappeared from the list, you also need to scan your drivers and Windows registry so as to make sure that the program has been fully removed. nike free run net for the following reasons: That is the best online shopping websites that are reputed for their on-time delivery, authentic product quality as well as appropriate payment methods. This humidifier is manufactured by Essick Air and will come in three conventional models: the entire house, the area saving idea, and also the tabletop models. For me, the best choice is to find your battery by specific model no . cheap ray bans However, the amount of backward technology and equipment increase the risk for growth and development of China's fine chemical is way less than developed nations. A good example with an excellent battery would be the aforementioned Optima Batteries 8002-002 34 RedTop Beginning Battery. The visual focus could be the one which concerns, since the digital zoom is a "guesswork" that generally leads to images together with lesser good quality. The Awesome Mee Vehicle Chair Lining will get great reviews and it is available in an array of colours. louboutin This is often Fix Golfing not Banner The national football league. Not only the various beautiful goods attract people's attention, but also the rich cultural connotation. Because the finish of 2008, china Government features various initiatives to grow domestic demand to keep growth, so "winter" Chinese wood floor to existence. To be able to avoid this future headache all that you should do is decide on a company that is an expert in grounds management. sac louis vuitton You should use personalized dog labels to place your appreciation for the dog displayed to everybody. Many watch manufacturers do not produce their own movements, but Rolex does and the company belongs to the few watch manufacturers who produces their own. It is crucial to make certain that you simply correctly clean your equipment between uses, particularly if there's good in time between. When taking photographs inside a controlled setting, you will find several options and also hardwearing . burberry outlet canada All NiCd batteries in regular use as well as on standby mode (relaxing in a charger for operational readiness) ought to be worked out monthly. The telephone measures about 4. nike nederland nike t90 nike godin nike fanatic nike velcrow trainers nike air max 1 nike joggingpak nike fuel band nike blazer nike nyc edition sneakers nike overplay

Archived