Cruising Cat - is it a seawind?

Catless

Hi,

I would like to get a cat for cruising but I’m a bit tight for cash.  There is an opportunity to by a damaged/neglected cat that the owner says is a Seawind 31’ built in 1991.  It’s listed on Boatsonline, is $20k and located in Carnarvon.

My limited research indicates that the 31’ wasn’t made until 1994 and photos of the 31’ look nothing like this yacht.  Can anyone please confirm what this Cat is and what I should be scared of?  post-198061-0-27680500-1388908562_thumb.

Mate be afraid. You'd drop another 20K into that before you even left Canarvon then you'd step back and look at it and you wouldn't be able to tell where you spent it. Checked it out on boatsales.com.au. Don't know if it is a genuine Seawind 31 or not but by comparison there's another 1991 [sydney] on boatsales that looks the goods above and below decks and at 69k asking one could get lucky and get it for 50k or maybe less if they negotiated well and start cruising immediately with all the gear at hand. Don't get me wrong, I love wasting my bucks on bargain boats but it's a game of diminishing returns in money, time and effort. You maybe understand all this and can neg that Canarvon one down to 10k and only spend another 40k on it :). Don't forget you gotta find a great surveyor too before you buy which can be harder than finding a great boat.

Archived