My New Windrush F14... LOL

Gazereth78

I bought my foam boat from jervoise a few years ago from a guy called Yarrick .  there were still a few WW in the yard then.

Be interested to hear a detailed report on how you find the spinnaker kit?   ie ease of use getting it up and down when single handed.

What sort of angles can you set the kite in ? Also what is the all up additional weight of the kite kit? Is it easy to rig & unrig ?

Rgds .

Good stuff.

The kite and things doesn't seem to add all that much weight. Setup time adds about 10 mins if you get it right the first time. Hopefully Brett and I will streamline that a bit with some clips instead of shackles. Sheeting angles don't seem to matter too much, just stick to a broad reach and sail to the kite.

Come around the top mark, ease the traveler and the jib about 10cm, lean forward and pull like stink on the halyard, grab the sheet and retreat to the corner of the tramp. Tack downwind at about the same angle as upwind. Same when retrieving the kite, lean forward and pull on the other halyard till the kite is in the chute, then you can round the downwind mark. As i have only used it once in light winds my advice is iffy at best, however i had a great time and am looking forward to getting out on the back corner on the trap whilst hammering downwind.

On another note, are you the guy in the denmark youtube vid? The one who saves a pitchpole at the last moment?

Cheers

Gazereth

thanks for the rundown on the kite - look forward to further updates when you get it blasting.

I have put a few WW gopro vids onto youtube , my boats called Chardonnay.  Have also got a couple on youtube with my Son in it on his boat "feeling lucky" .

Going to try & make the states this year as they are in Albany.

Yeah i saw your vids George, might have to get me a GoPro too they look like fun. The kite is great fun and i think everyone fit enough should have one. They would be good also for those skippers who sail with a crew. Give them something to do on the boring downwind legs. I won't be able to make the states, i have to work, however i would like to come down south and see you guys at Denmark and Walpole sometime.

Cheers

Gazereth

The Walpole "In the Trees Regatta" on the labour day long weekend (first w/e in march) is a great event . Unfortunately it clashes with the Port Denison Regatta which most of the northern windrush sailors go to .

Walpole has only been back up and going for 2 years now after a break of about 20 years , but getting a mixed fleet of 90 odd boats , fantastic !! 

Is Brett selling any more of the kite kits ? ie has anyone else signed up of one?

Rgds.

Archived