Windrush 600

Guest Doodlebug

Guest Doodlebug

Does anybody out there know anything about these Cats?!!!

Interesed to find out more about them.

Wher are they? where are they sailed.

Specs. Handicap? etc

Guest noddy

doodlebug further down this page there is a

heading saying windrush it has internet site on it.try that.do you live in brisbane if so see the boys at sandgate yaucht club.

Guest Doodlebug

noddy,thanks again but I've also tried that. There helpful but the Burvills' took over when these boats finished their production run. They have built "One-offs" since but have put their enegies into the 700 model.

Thats why Im out into cyberspace looking for contacts and info.

• 5 months later...

Mokoan Yacht Club in North East Victoria has 2 racing weekly. The newer one's sail No. is 52 and the older one is 45. There is 2 versions the 600NV and 600WV. It stands for narrow version wide version. 52 is a WV and 45 is a NV. The WV carrys 1 trapeze and is about a foot wider each side than the NV and only carrys a symetrical spinacer. The NV has 2 trapezes and can carry a asymitriacal spinacer. They are very competitive boats with the WV having a VYC yardstick of 105 and the NV with a yardstick of 112, they thrash the other cats in a breeze. for more info please email me and i can get you some more info.

craigale@galen.sand.catholic.edu.au

• 1 year later...

If you were serious about selling your boat you would put a propper add in saying what condition the boat is in. The gear on the boat number of sails and list the equiptment you are selling the boat with.

A photo as well. Ps Dont use cap letters as it means you are shouting.ok

The fact is that I purchased the boat sight unseen. I understand its condition is good and comes with 2 sails on a custom trailer. I have an add in this web site. I have a photo but I don't know how to attach it to this system. If you want to go to Geelong to look at it you had better do it this week as once the fare is booked I a committed to the expense of bringing it down.

• 5 years later...

Originally posted by Doodlebug:

Does anybody out there know anything about these Cats?!!!

Interesed to find out more about them.

Wher are they? where are they sailed.

Specs. Handicap? etc

I have a Windrush 600 NV and sail it off Mooloolaba. My daughters and I like to sail out to sea a few km and then catch the swells back in to Mooloolaba Bay. These boats are predictable, sea-worthy and fast. My boat has a mast-raising winch so rigging is really safe and easy. She also has a righting triangle mounted under the trampoline. I haven't ever used it. Maybe when we start using the spinnaker we will need it..... My phone number is 0754796111 if you want to find out more about the Windrush 600.

• 1 month later...

I have been collecting information on these versatile cats for some time ... check out the LSWSA website

We have campaigned #53 in the Bay to Bay nearly every year ... haven't quite won yet, but we shake up some some expensive competition. If you own a W600, or know anybody who does, please get in touch ... my contact details are on the website

• 1 year later...

W600's at Wangi.

Two windrush 600's (NV) have sailed at Wangi Sailing Club (Lake Macquarie) in 2011-12 season. Both have converted to assymentric spinnakers and are having a ball. You will be able to sail against us in the Multihull regatta held during November. In the photo attached "Beans" heads to the leeward mark at over 20 knots in a recent race.

post-3493-1377826568674_thumb.jpg

About 70 or so W600's were built. A couple even went to Europe for fun and racing over there back inthe 80's.

There has been just one boat built since 1985 that was made for a guy in Atherton Tablelands or Tinaroo area I think who owned a mower shop. Nice guy, boat had the mast section of the W700 but at the length of the 600 or a bit longer, was 3m wide and went like a blur when I sailed it here pre delivery.

From memory they had a yardstick of about 103.

• 1 month later...

Yeah they are pretty scarce doodlebug, I am trying to hunt one down in Vic- there is a heavily modded wide one in geelong that the owner is having some fun with- otherwise have not seen one here. I am after a narrow one to be trailerable and width of launching facilities around surf coast.

• 3 years later...

Hi - I have just acquired 600NV #16 after it had not been used for quite some time (by default,  I didn't intend to buy a W600 but..). I trailer-ed it 800k up the Bruce with its original trailer, bearings and tires, it tows really quite well even with the silly small wheels. 

Its still in the yard at home and I am doing some cleaning and checks before its relaunch with new standing rigging. Sails are original. I stepped the mast, rigged it and stood back and started to really like the boat lines and profile. I cant wait to go for a sail next week.

I have been scouring the web and there is some info on these boats but not a lot of details on the mods being done to help lift performance. Its not urgent as what I have will do, but I sometimes spell fun as "win".:)

Any ideas on length of prodder and luff length of screecher and Aso......The images of "Beans" at full noise look fantastic.

Lastly has any one sailed in mixed Cat 5 club fleets?

Thanks

Gecko

G'day Gecko,
I've a W600 #45. I think I've had her for 15 -16 years now. I'm in Vic and we've sailed her at club, interclub and regatta level, She's done a few campaigns in the Marlay Point Overnighter and we've taken her over to S.A. to do the Goolwa - Milang and Goolwa - Meningee races. In light airs you can sail W600's single handed, in heavy airs at least 3, with 2 on trap [definitely needed]. We fly both an assymetric from a bowsprit in good airs, [around 10Kn up to about 18Kn-20Kn, after that good luck, because somewhere around there I think she has enough speed on main and jib alone!.  In that type of breeze all 3 will be at or about he rear beam keeping her balanced. It's exciting!!! We usually put her over at least once a season, most likely early on in the Spring, when we're a bit rusty, They do come up, just be patient.

In light airs or down wind,  we fly the original gossamer light symmetric kite from the spinaker pole .

The YV handicap is 115 and the CBH is .715. In the right conditions, on handicap, your on a winner.

Also see: http://lswsa.org.au/windrush-600-pages/ John Boeje is you man there.

Up at Lake Tinnaroo they have/had a small fleet of W600 sailing.

PS, Just went out and measured the bowsprit pole. It's 2300 long  x 50mm x 6mm construction grade aluminum, including the spinny beak. That's the length that fits for transportation, but initially we had one 1800 long and that was a bit short. Its controllable in both its vertical and horizontal axis, but mainly we use the horizontal axis to get the best angles to the wind,  in stronger winds we pull her down tight. NB see above comments re wind range.

You can still get some parts from Windrush for them, but a bit exxy.

Hope this helps.

Hi Ho inland sailor,

Thanks for the reply.

#16 was a Vic boat before going to Bundaberg where it was "discovered" it had been there about 15 years and not used much. New forestay will be ready today and Ive ordered the trapeze sets (hiking straps were fitted).

Thank you I did find the link  http://lswsa.org.au/windrush-600-pages/

That site got me quite keen on the 600, it seems like its almost the perfect small boat.  Then I found this forum. Thanks for the heads up on sailing one. I will use the current gear but I know I wont be able to help myself and will want to add some power. Are you using second hand skiff sails or did you have one made.

Do you set the righting pole forward or aft under the tramp, mine has this odd pocked CL aft which corresponds to the apex of the frame...... hints on this will be very appreciated.

The mixed fleet is with a F24 and Grianger and multi's of that type and also keel boats to 22 to 45' in the bay. The Club wont want me unless the boat is Cat5 which I will do, but don't want to go out and just be a pain by being a looooong way last... So I wondering what to expect in that sort of mixed company.

But the boat will also be used simply for messing around in and get my daughters into a little sailing (I hope)

Kind regards

Gecko (boats name [now])

G'day Gecko, Don't worry about trailing behind those larger boats, sail to your handicap [or better] and you've got them beaten. I've had victories over a those types of boats. If you can get some power upwind [ie work on your mast rake] and get an assymetric kite  flying from a bowsprit for your off wind sailing, you'll do well. As for the righting "wishbone", it was carried aft but I took it off as it had a tendency to hook into the water underneath, especially in chop. We right her by using the spinny halyard thrown over the upper hull, pulling from the block up on the mast, with 2 standing on the lower leeboard and leaning out to get leaverage. If you have a third, have them swim out to the top of the mast to just help it break the surface of the water. Once up, it's onto the bucket, bailing out the hull!!! This is essentially the same as with the righting "wishbone".

As for the Assymetric I had it made, but if you can do a second hand that'll do the job, why not.

I'd like to put a square top main on #45 and have even toyed with the idea of putting the 32' rig and mainsail from a wrecked Nacra 5.8. Just not to sure if the mast would be strong enough to handle the power of the assymetric kite, because it sure does turbo charge the boat. It can be a handful in that upper end of it's wind range, and you have you work cut out, both on the helm or on the sheets.

Generally  I'm on the helm, watching the gusts and steering up [or down], keeping the spinny full. [NB no mast rotation] If I'm doing my job properly, the crew on the spinny sheet has just to hold on and make small adjustments. but has to get going in a lull or gust. My second crew will be working on the jib, and doing most of the work balancing the boat out. Both of them can be out on the traps or not as necessary. The traveller is usually  set about 2/3rds out, about the point where the rear beam meets the hull, and I work the main, [cleat at your peril]. If you've got it right, the windward hull is just lifting out of the water, and the leeward bow piercing through the waves. You can tell your hooking in when you glance behind  to see the rooster tail behind standing 60'-90cm high where the two wakes meet. Pure fun!!!!

Hi Ho Inland Sailor

Thanks again for your input. I got it out on the water yesterday :) 10 to 12 with bit of a chop my wife and 2 girls 9 & 11. It went really quite well, room and access for their gear and out of the way in the hulls. What is a bonus is they said they would go out again...

But i need more tell tails and a Windex (I think). Felt a bit underpowered on the breeze and my tacking angles were not great but i was being relaxed and I will feel it out better with time, the chop and slop didn't help. Boat felt better to good in the puffs but felt a bit sluggish in lulls (8 knots or so). I didn't play around with the kite.

The outboard which has not been started for ever ran perfectly.

Years ago I used to flog around in an old YW Diamond causing havoc and the local rigger (who was my crew back then) muttered when I picked up the new forestay that perhaps we should do Wednesday nights again....No extras on Wed night so more up front on lighter nights will be needed if its sloppy are my my first thoughts.

I have noted your prodder length - again thanks. If you try the Nacra rig let me know - you could be like the skiffies #1 & #2 rigs

I will keep the righting frame for now as it gives some support under the tramp and will help with righting lessons if a capsize eventuates but nice to know its not needed.

I will let you know what happening after a couple more sails, thanks for your time to date  

Gecko

Gecko Just back from a bit of a break camping on "the river". As far as telltales go, I have one one each of the shrouds and a couple on the forestay bridle. I also have a masthead indicator, which really great for the kite angles. As far as crew weight balance goes, in light breeze, heading upwind, I have my crew lay on the tramp at the leward bow. I move forward as far as possible [almost to the mid beam] and trim from there. This allows the lee bow to dig in, the mast to stand straighter and you can point up higher!

Hi Ho Inland Sailor,

I hope you took the boat...

My grand plan to go out yesterday was dashed by the arrival of a new puppy and the family promptly going to a swim carnival 2 hours up the road, that left me being a baby sitter to a dog! - "No you are not taking the dog sailing"......say the girls as they drive off. Missed today too much rain.

Not all wasted - Made a mast crutch and modified the spin pole yesterday for simplified triangulation for beam to mast support and single handed rig raising and lowering, worked a treat on the tests and no rooting around with halyards for side transition support.

Thanks for the trim info, the girls have a lot of wool so I will steal some - they wont miss it. I suspect I will have to purchase the Windex or I might get into trouble.

Cheers

Gecko