Finding parts

rat of vengence

Hi all, I have managed to do a bit of damage to my Maricat. My mate and I took it out from west of the Gladesville Bridge and sailed out under the Harbour Bridge. The tramp was starting to let go along the hulls, but the rough conditions getting out to the harbour really took a toll, so a new tramp is needed.

Unfortunately, when we were a couple of k away from the boat ramp the tensioning wire that runs under the dolphin striker snapped. My uneducated guess is the tramp takes some of the tension and it's split condition meant it wasn't doing it's job?

So, the questions. Where's the best place to get a replacement tramp? Is there special arcane knowledge I need to replace the wire under the dolphin striker, like how tensioned it should be?

Thanks fellas,

Dave

The dolphin striker wire is one of the most important structural component of a Maricat. You are lucky not to have snapped your front beam. The wire takes the load from the mast and stops the beam from bending/breaking. These should be replaced as a matter of course if they look at bit rusty or are just old. The regular racing boats replace theirs every couple of years. Yours is probably 30 years old ! The wire needs to be tight - before you put up the mast - 

You can get original tramps from Mick Colecliffe at Lemon Tree Passage Marine or very good not original tramps via Darcy. I’m guessing your old boat has the lace up bit down the middle... the newer ones are one piece, cut on the diagonal - these can be pulled very tight and are the only way to go - cost $300 to $450 depending on source.

Mick can also sell you a dolphin sticker wire of the correct length and with the proper adjuster.

Thanks for the reply PR, most helpful. I remember seeing some pics of a boat with a cracked front beam after the wire went, so we were sailing very 'gently' to get it back. We were damned lucky it didn't go when we were near the bridge, it was choppy as a very choppy thing.

Yes, the boat has the old laced tramp. The tape has gone on the sides, and the stitches at the front, so I guess it's had it's day. A couple of years ago I had the rear edge of the tramp retaped with truck tautliner vinyl, it's holding up really well, but it's not worth having the other 3 edges retaped and hoping it all still fits right :/

"Mick Colecliffe at Lemon Tree Passage Marine"

I Googled that and the closest it came up with was 'Port Stephens Marine' at Lemon Tree Passage. Is that the right one?

" very good not original tramps via Darcy "

I'll try to message him.

Thanks again for the help :)

Dave

On 29/12/2017 at 3:05 PM, darcy1945 said:

Ring Graham Stephens, 0411080064, for Tramps, Last price I had was $280.

Graham's current price is $300.  It appears that Tassie sailors are needing new Tramps at the moment. I will be needing a new one by winter. And I have a friend here in Tassie needing one as well. If anyone else in Tasmania maybe wanting one, and is prepared to wait until winter, then lets know, and we may be able to combine the freight by sending all as one lot.

Cheers David. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2017 at 3:05 PM, darcy1945 said:

Ring Graham Stephens, 0411080064, for Tramps, Last price I had was $280.

Hi Darcy, I called him, and he said he wasn't doing them anymore due to being busy, but he'd do one for me. 6 weeks later after a couple of unanswered messages he messaged me to say he's changed his mind and is too busy. Oh well, bit peeved I've missed a lot of good sailing waiting for him to let me know :/

I've gotten a replacement dolphin striker wire, (my parents volunteer with the Sydney Heritage Fleet, dad swaged it for me there), and advice on how to ensure I've tensioned it correctly?

Thanks again,

Dave

Dolphin striker wire should be very tight with the boat unrigged. The aim is that the beam does not flex when the load of the mast is applied. Flexing the beam will eventually (or quickly) weaken it. It will also change the alignment of the hulls.

Now completely off topic —- in your reference to the Sydney Heritage fleet - a couple of years ago I organised for a load of      Douglas Fir spars to be cut and hauled from Bago State Forest (near Tumut) for the heritage fleet. A selection of logs up to 19mt length. There is a small stand of Douglas Fir trees which were planted as a trial in 1927. 

The Soren Larsen is now after a couple of 21 metre spars to replace their main mast. They will weigh about 4 tonnes each.

27B372BB-0F5C-4CAE-AFB0-AD9FA5B3E14C.jpeg

• 4 months later...

Well, the saga continues. Ian at Redhead had told me he could do it a few weeks after Easter. Okay, no problem. Three weeks past Easter, nothing. I send an email. Several weeks later, nothing, I leave a message on his phone. Another couple of weeks another message. Another couple of weeks Ian sends me an SMS to say "Sorry the Mari tramp is not done as I was tied upon a job. I am now away and won't get to it till August. I will ring on my return.

Not impressed at all.

• 6 months later...

I think you have been sold a “pup” by someone who doesn’t know or sail a Maricat.

The new proper ones are single piece, cut on the diagonal so they fit and can be tensioned to drum tight with no gaps in the middle or the stern for things like ropes to fall through.

This tramp looks very complicated and untidy and will cause problems.

There are a number of experienced Maricat sailmakers and trampoline people who can make you a better one that will work for about the same price.

Archived