NACRA 4.5: FEEDBACK AND BOAT WANTED.

Skinner

Hello, I am seriously looking at purchasing a Nacra 4.5.  I plan on sailing mostly single handed but occasionally will take a crew(wife or son).  The Nacra 4.5 appears to fit the bill.  I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has sailed/owned this model boat.  I  am also in the market for a good used Nacra 4.5 (unless I get a heap of negative feedback on the boat) if someone has one they are thinking of selling.  Thanks.

A 4.5 is excellent for what you want.  But, they are widely liked and 2nd hand ones are very very rare (people keep them)  and not cheap (gave up waiting for one to come up and bought a maricat).  New is 20k plus I believe. I sailed one that was shared in a club.  Huge fun on your own and can readily take up to two passengers without sinking too low to sail smoothly.   In a  stronger breeze you need to be careful to keep the nose up, you have to hang right out the back corner when on your own but still huge fun even if a little busy. 

After extensive research .. Spent three months looking for second hand nacra 4.5 ... ended up getting one ordered new ... made in Brisbane .. the base boat is well under the amount stated ... the add ons ... such as trailer and optional wing seats etc add costs

southport yacht club ... provide excellent instruction on the nacra 4.5 they have generally 2 hour lessons on the Broadwater 

ps still waiting for supply .. so expect about 6 to 8 weeks after order .. not 3 weeks promised 

looking at if if I can get a “power righter “ carbon fibre righting pole fixed to front cross beam with universal joint to right the boat after capsize “ 

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought one after putting my nacra 16 on a reef. Ordered just before Christmas and arrived in sa two weeks ago. First sailed in light winds in Kingston se regatta and then local club port macdonnell Saturday in 12 to 15 knots. Second and first on yardstick. I am 60 and 87 kg. Trapezed with jib and felt totally in control. Great boat. Boat itself was $13k. Can rig by myself if need to. Highly recommend. 

They are an excellent boat for what you are wanting to do We have had 3 and recently sold one to upgrade my sons.  It was sold within the club and never went to advertise as a buyer was waiting. This happens a lot with them.  My son (16) has one and races regularly he is only light (55kg) and can sail it in all conditions 1 up.  We have a good fleet of them at Lake Samsonvale 4 racing and soon to be 5 or 6. Great atmosphere and people only to happy to help out with boat setups,tips etc.  For those of you on Face book there is a group that has recently been formed,  "Nacra 4.5 Community"  so join there as well.    I agree with Madboutcats closer to 14k not 20k!! Parts easy to get, simple to rig, great to sail and fast. 

Archived