Balmoral

We have been discussing very briefly on the Maricat forum about sailing at Balmoral Beach.

They race monohulls there on a Saturday and are closed Sunday at the club that is at the southern end of Balmoral.

I am sure that more than a few people here have sailed out of the park at Balmoral and it is a great area of the harbour to sail.

If we get enough interest, I would be happy to get a team to put together a proposal to the club to race there on a Sunday.

I am not sure how many would be interested, but it is a great place for the family to hang out while we sail. It is one of Sydney's premium beaches and probably the best in the harbour.

There is very limited sailing on the north side of Sydney, and minimal catamaran sailing on the harbour.

The wind is constant and there are often waves to play in, and there is also sheltered areas if it gets too wild, but generally in summer, there is a great steady NE blowing and always good sailing to be had there.

Any thoughts?

[This message has been edited by Emmessee (edited 05 May 2004).]

Sounds like a great idea. It seems like it would be a fantastic place to sail and there's some wonderful restaurants on the strip. I'm very interested so if you need support, let me know.

Bern

[This message has been edited by berny (edited 11 May 2004).]

I would be more than happy to approach Balmoral Sailing Club about using it on a Sunday, but I am not going to do it unless there is the support from the sailors as I would then look like a goose.

It is only worth persuing if we knew there was going to be a decent fleet sailing there.

Another option is getting sailors there this summer socially for our own outings.

We have in the past raced ourselves from the beach to Manly and back, which is rather fun if there is a bit of a swell.

It is a great place for the families especially if you have kids, with a huge park, coffee shops and little restaurants (as well as some big ones), but it can only happen if the sailors want it too.

Balmoral Sailing Club has their Board Meeting on Monday, May 24, and they will be discussing the opporunity to have catamaran sailing at the club.

If anyone has anything to say for or against it, best to send it in an email to me prior to then so I can pass it on to the Commodore David Owen.

I think that it is a great opportunity for all catamaran sailors.

There could be some resistance to having cats and mono's sail together particularly if there are going to be large cats. It's a bit strained at CRSC even though 14ft is the limit there but because we have been there so long now it would be difficult for the mono sailors (who dislike us significantly) to get us out. I say this presupposing that their (Balmoral) mono sailors might object. We might have to agree to a limit on size or we may need to sail on Sundays as has already been mooted.

bern

You are right, but we may be suprised.

They may ask to start off with 14's and grow from there, but it never hurts to ask.

As I mentioned before, I am happy to head down for the occasional casual Sunday and just have a blast off the beach.

• 2 weeks later...

OK!

Balmoral have had their meeting and wish to discuss the proposal in more detail with the catamaran sailors.

I have only just got this information from David Owen and I will chat with him more about it and then set up a meeting with some of us with them.

Their main concern was whether we would sail the same course as the centreboard boats and the length of the start line. That was about it.

If you are interested in helping with this, please let Macca or myself know.

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Sail at Balmoral Beach? Since I bought my first cat 6 years ago I have dreamed of sailing on Sydney Harbour (or even Middle Harbour)so I'll be there with my Windrush, the sole 14ft fleet from Toukley SC. I hope some of my mates from Mannering will be there (Billy?). It sounds wonderful.

Danny

• 11 months later...

I realise this post wast started nearly twelve months ago... but I would be interested in any update.. what happened with the negotiations with Balmoral Sailing Club..? are cats wanted or not.. I have recently purchased a Taipan and would like to get together on Sunday morning to do a blast to Manly and back.. I also have a young family and Balmoral beach enables the family to play on the beach while Dad goes out sailing.. If any one is interested in meeting up over the winter months to go blasting around the harbour then more the merrier.

Guest Queensland

What can you say the water is warmer, the sun always shines, we won the first state of orign game, life is good! We don't care what you sail as long as you are sailing!!

Go QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Balmoral is an ideal place to launch a boat. The sailing club is located at the southern end of the beach, ie turn right and follow the road to the end through the car park. The sailing club is deserted of boats and people at that end on a Sunday (its winter!). Setting up is ideal on the grass adjacent to the beach. The launching arear is sheltered and deep enabling an esay launch. I recomend anyone looking for any inner harbour launch pad to check it out. We could always set up a group or defacto club. There are a number of bouys in the inner harbour that could be used to mark out a course. I'm sure the gerratric establishment of the club would not welcome the site of our new fangled craft. But the site is an ideal location and is not currently being used by anyone on Sunday's!

Guest Aussie

Originally posted by Emmessee:

I have said before, they are willing to talk about us sailing there.

We just need a rep to do it.

Hey Emmessee how is your new Flyer going ?

Archived