Decisions Decisions

startnout

Hello to all I will soon be living on the Maroochy River heading into my retirement and have decided that sailing will be my past time as I can have a toy parked right out front. Now My sailing experience consists of cruising and wild weather sailing on a large Trimaran and a 12m yacht (which was a hoot but who has that sort of spare coin for toys) a bit of wind surfing all 28 years ago and recently a crack at kiting so I guess you could say SFA experience.  Now I have no interest in bobbing along on a keel boat so I am getting a cat and have narrowed choices down to a Nacra 5.0  or a Nacra 5.8.  I like the idea of no dagger boards on the 5.0 but am a little concerned that it might struggle with my 96kg + the wife when she comes along.  But on the other hand I like the size of the 5.8 particularly when my 21 year old son joins me as I am sure we will want to fly the hull high and fast once we get through the learning curve.

My question is, those that have a 5.0 will it suit my wants or should I get the 5.8?   

View.jpg

• 3 months later...

A 5m Nacra can be handled by yourself or with another with your level of experience.. A 5.8 is another step entirely as they are a high performance machine and you have to know what you are doing otherwise will end up in the drink, injured or scared out of your wits.. There can be a breathtaking leap in performance envelope going from a 14-15 foot cat to 18 to 20 foot cat.  Go for rides on as many cats as you can and get a better idea of what you can handle with your age, fitness and expertise.   There are too many big powerful cats sitting in backyards because unwitting owners got the wind up when conditions worsened.   In a typical arvo seabreeze you need to know how to sail it without being right on the edge of out of control, to de power the rig and if you capsize it be able to get it up unaided. I'd also suggest a 4.5 nacra if you are going to be sailing mostly by yourself cos wives change their minds as do family who say one thing and then do another.  Look at all options.