anyone know this cat?

FireKat

have come across this hobie 16...

Hobie 16 catamaran, Hobie 16, Good for family weekend sailing, new rigging, blue tramp, hulls resprayed white, sails are a bit old but still good for sailing. Plus road trailer (unregistered), FC $1,400.00

sail numbers 28728

Can anyone offer any advice??

trailer looks in reasonable condition, but no sail box or beach wheels. For such a low sail number, no rego on trailer, no beach wheels and no sail box...and the boat in only fair condition - does $1400 sound a bit pricey?

i have seen pictures...looks in rather good condition, but has just been repainted. Unfortunately, it is a 2 - 3 hour drive away so, no, i have not YET seen it. was just trying to gather as much info as possible to decide if it is even worth the trip down. So....anything constructive to say?

fair call pete. would be good if the boat was local. my thoughts are that if it is a really old boat that has been done over just to look good and is going to be full of problems, then id rather pay $1400 for the same age boat that has its uglies showing - but that also comes with box n beach wheels. i know i might have a wee bit longer to wait, but at least i will have the accessories i need to be able to use the thing - for the same price. this is my first cat, so am going cheap first - will upgrade later.

Hi,

You must always remember that Sail Nos are no real indication of boat age.

Some classes have sail nos that always remain with the boat, and others can have a newer sail no. on a really old boat.

Good used cats are as rare as hens teeth, but you may find one.

pete smile.gif

g'day Firekat, you say

trailer looks in reasonable condition, but no sail box or beach wheels. For such a low sail number, no rego on trailer, no beach wheels and no sail box...and the boat in only fair condition - does $1400 sound a bit pricey?

you tell us, is $1400 too pricey? You are the only one that knows how much you are willing to pay for something and by your own admission you want to start cheap and work up from there. As Pete has said to you, go and look at it fully rigged and kick the tyres so to speak. After all three hours isn't that far to drive, heck some people drive further than that every week just to go sailing.

happy sailing ....Harry

Archived