Safety

Wilson

Recently sailing to windward on our 5.8, two out, when my trapeze rope broke at the knot - pity that.

Anyway the boat was easy to right, but getting back on the boat was a problem. The 5.8 sits high in the water with nobody on it.

The options are:

* Climb on the main beam somehow; bloody hard if you have just swum 20 meters to the boat after your bloody trapeze broke!

* Climb on the bow from the outside of the boat. This is a bit easier because the bow will submerge into the water when you start to climb on. This is not so good because your trapeze hook will probably scratch the boat.

* I have since tied a light rope from the jib tack to the main beam on one side. It needs to be loose (it annoyingly dangles in the water) so that you can step on it to climb on the main beam and onto the boat.

Any other ideas?

- Peter

I know a lot of people complain about how hard it is got get back on a 5.8. A couple of months ago i was sailing with my brother, in very light airs, it was about 10 mins before the race, (very hot day) and he decided to drop off the side of the boat to cool off, without telling me!. He just put one hand on the main beam, one on the foredeck, and pressed himself back onto the boat. The guy is a freak though, he goes to the gym twice a day and is built like a bick outhouse!.

for me, not being so athletic, I do stuggle, but i have found going to the outer rear of the boat, just in front of the rear beam, reaching over and grabbing the hiking strap, then pulling myself onboard works for me quite well. and of couse once one of you is on, you can pull the other in fairly easily.

Easiest way I have found, is to push the tiller down hard to either side and climb up in the corner between aft beam and inside rear of the hull, pull up a little and then swing the leg (which is closest to the opposite side that yur tryin to climb) up onto the rear beam, once ya get yur leg up the rest is piss easy smile.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I've had the best luck reaching up to a trapeze handle (ostensibly you still had a good one?) then kicking one heel aboard and levering the rest of my body with leg strength. This has worked both on my Nacra 5.5 and Prindle 19.

sail fast

Andrew Tatton

P-19 +chute

Ex N 5.5u +chute

Ex N 5.O

I'm in South Texas, USA, about an hour north of Corpus Christi, the site of last year's Performance Catamarans Nationals. I sail throughout Texas and occasionally into Louisiana; I think the longest I've driven for a regatta was about 8 hours (but I had a family wedding there too, so does that count?) Anyway, thanks for the welcome, and give me a holler if you ever make it to Texas...we'll go sailing.

Andrew Tatton

Prindle 19 +chute

• 2 months later...

Originally posted by Wilson:

Recently sailing to windward on our 5.8, two out, when my trapeze rope broke at the knot - pity that.

Anyway the boat was easy to right, but getting back on the boat was a problem. The 5.8 sits high in the water with nobody on it.

The options are:

* Climb on the main beam somehow; bloody hard if you have just swum 20 meters to the boat after your bloody trapeze broke!

* Climb on the bow from the outside of the boat. This is a bit easier because the bow will submerge into the water when you start to climb on. This is not so good because your trapeze hook will probably scratch the boat.

* I have since tied a light rope from the jib tack to the main beam on one side. It needs to be loose (it annoyingly dangles in the water) so that you can step on it to climb on the main beam and onto the boat.

Any other ideas?

- Peter

I know this is little late in the piece, but we can right or 5.8 in less than 60 sec and be on our way. The secret is a righting rope attached around your dolphin striker. Leave it in the bag until you ditch it. When you are over just stand on the inner hull and reach around the front beam and release the rope from the bag. Throw it over the hull that is now above your head and place it around your crews trap hook on the harness. Get your crew to catch this as you throw it over and then swing off his back as he or she steps out onto the d/board.

Originally posted by Wilson:

The options are:

Any other ideas?

- Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Wilson,

I too like the Trapeze handle method.

I reach up and grab the handle, then push aginst the hull with both my feet like as if I was trapezeing without being attached. Then I just slide back on the boat. Once you have reached the handle it is very easy.

You can grab the trap ring to help pull yourself up to the handel. Or you can do the same thing from between the hulls by pulling yourself up using the front beem, and use the same method by pushing out on the beem.

Archived