Downhaul - rigging N-5.8

HooD

Hi Hood,

I would be suggesting you run the downhaul as the majority of 5.8 are running these days. It is simply done with a single pulley on the hook in the sail, a single cheek bolck on the mast. You also have two pulleys popping up through the tramp right near the front beam and just of centre. You only have a 6:1 purchase on the mast, but when it runs through the pulley in the tramp you then tie it to another pulley which is tied to a saddle next to the cleat which is either situated on the tramp track or on the gunwhale. This then creates a 12:1 system, it is the easiest sytem to pull on and because there is less rope it runs out much quicker. Most guys now even run it below the tramp and bring the rope up through a cut out near the hull, this really cleans the boat up. This system is what i suggest and you would be silly to try anything else when this has been proven. And i would also check the class rules before doing any internal settings!

CHEERS

Thanks Mick!

I do have a couple of questions, (you knew that was coming)

I have the two holes in the tramp, below the base of the mast, but what holds the pullies in place?? wouldnt they pull through the tramp material if they were joined to each other?.

how far back are the cleats mounted?

how do I mount them?, the only inspection hatch is behind the rear beam.

running the ropes under the tramp sounds ideal but again there would have to be some sort of support under the tramp?

is there any chance of emailing me some photo's?? hood@lyccat.net

thanks smile.gif

I have the two holes in the tramp, below the base of the mast, but what holds the pullies in place?? wouldnt they pull through the tramp material if they were joined to each other?. YOU SIMPLY TIE A ROPE TO ONE PULLEY THEN AROUND THE DOLPHIN STRIKER AND THE TO THE OTHER PULLY, YOU NEED THIS BACK AND FORTH ABOUT 2-3 TIMES

how far back are the cleats mounted? MOST GUYS RUN IT JUST BEHIND THE DAGGERBOARD BUT SOME DO RUN IT IN FRONT, WHEN THE CREW IS DOING THE MAIN THE SKIPPER CAN PLAY THE DHAUL IF IT IS BEHIND THE CASE

how do I mount them?, the only inspection hatch is behind the rear beam.THE EASIEST WAY WOULD BE TO MOUNT THEM ONTO THE TRAMP TRACK IF YOU HAVE THE STYLE WHICH FACES DOWN AND IS FLAT ON TOP. YOU SIMPLY DRILL APILOT HOLE IN THE TRACK AND MOUNT THE CLEAT USING A SELF TAPPER. THE EASIEST WAY TO SECURE THE ROPE AT THAT ENS IS EITHER TIE IT TO THE SADDLE FOR THE DBOARD SIDELOADER OR WE USE A PLASTIC CHOCK UNDER THE CLEAT WITH A HOLE DRILLED THROUGH

running the ropes under the tramp sounds ideal but again there would have to be some sort of support under the tramp?

NO, AS IT IS JUST THE SAME AS THE ABOVE BUT ROPE RUN UNDER TRAMP, YOU DO NEED TO MOUNT THE PULLEYS AT THE MIDDLE BELOW THE TRAMP INSTEAD OF ABOVE.

HOPE THIS HELPS, PRETTY BUSY UP HERE BUT I WILL TRY AND SEND SOME PHOTOS

Thanks Mick! that helps enourmously!.

I get the idea now. I hadnt thought of using self tappers, i was still in nut and bolt land!

Every thing else seems straight forward, so here we go smile.gif

p.s. as long as your busy building my mast Ill be happy smile.gif (ONLY JOKING!@!)

• 2 weeks later...

well after much thought about the best way to go with fixing the cleats to the deck, as my tramp track is not flat on top, which allows only about a 20mm area to attach to.

what I did was buy a couple of these:

238.jpg

I took the bullseyes off, and cut the plate so its about 25mm shorter. this reduced the leverage.

I drilled three new holes in the plate, and then used 3 stainless steel rivets to mount the plate to the tramp track.

I then mounted harken carbo cams with harken fairleads to the plate.

the whole thing turned out so rigid, you would swear the cleat was mounted to the deck.

I have mounted the cleat behind the centerboard, as there was already a hole in the tramp that suited nicley.

HooD

www.lyccat.net

[This message has been edited by HooD (edited 14 November 2002).]

Thanks mick, should be sweet when it shows up here smile.gif

can you give me an idea of how long to make the rope in the center, i was thinking, if one side was let go completley, the other should be able to have enough travel to pull the downhaul full down.

p.s. i have gotten so bored, being ferry'd around in the rescue boats, I went out and got my power boat license. so I can ferry other people around smile.gif

HooD

www.lyccat.net

Archived