5.8 pointing problems

Have read through previous posts regarding rig set up (rake, diamond tension etc.) and have adjusted accordingly. Club racing a few weeks ago in 15 knots, out pointed by everything on the water. The main is old and I can't get the bag out of it. Would this be the major contributing factor to poor pointing? Any help appreciated!

I have an old baggy main that i have been using since i torn my 2 season old main and did find it very slightly harder to point... but in 15 knots i find the 5.8 easy to point as that is getting on the verge of being full power and starting to release pressure with downhaul tension.

I get the feeling you might be pointing too high to begin with and maybe stalling the boat?

In the past i have found by going of the wind abit and get speed up comes pointing abilities.

Also what hole on the clu board on the main are you using?

Does you mast rake back or forward?

And get further forward. Crew with front foot in front of the front beam upwind in most condition. Works a treat.

Get your speed up to get the apparent wind working for you and traveller centred with the main car about 3 inches in front of the main blocks to start.

Use the downhaul for your depowering.

Check out the other boats around you.

Guest main location

lay your main out on the lawn and measure back from the main traveller to the bulk rope (90 degrees to bulk rope). Mark traveller at 1960mm for position required for all conditions except extra heavy. For extra heavy set at 1900mm.

Ensure top batten is approx 9/12 kgs of bend weight and second batten half of the top.

Down haul accordinding to conditions, keep pulling until you can sail flat and without excessive pointing (footing is fast).

that sounds like excellent advice from the goose in WA smile.gif

Your mainsheet system should defintly be on an angle pointing towards the mast otherwise the sail would be way too full for all but the lightest conditions.

9-12kilos seems like a lot for the top battten, the ones supplied from the bris cat center are only 6 from memory.

• 4 weeks later...

Am selling because some of the cat guys at the club (Altona)are unhappy with the way they are being treated by the club and are leaving to join Port Melbourne. When you only have 6-7 cats each week and 3 decide to go elswhere the rest will follow. I have sailed at Port Melbourne several times in fleets of 20-25+ cats and it's great, but getting the big cat across the sand is a pain in the butt. The wife also works in the morning while I look after the kids (2& 5 yrs) while I'm rigging up which would give her a 40min round trip to collect the kids.

Archived