Mast Pin problem

Thanks for the reply. I have rigged it a few times now without pin, but thought it was the wiser to avoid mast base jumping while being raised. I have raised the mast, with two side shrouds attached, with the mast off to one side so as to tension one shroud. I stood on tramp and lifted whilst a mate used a trap wire to help raise mast forward. This ok for keeping mast base down?

We have been putting our mast up and down for the past 3 or so years without the pin and without incedent.

One person should stand on the front beam with the two rear trap wires (they are longer) the other person should rotate the mast to the side to stop the base from jumping and walk the mast up the center of the boat.

then the person raising the mast gets to the back beam there is a choice depending on how strong you feel. from that point the mast can be thrown into the air and the person standing on the main beam can pull it the rest of the way up or you can walk up onto the tramp and help raise it all the way.

how old is your boat? older boats tend to have heavier masts.

Originally posted by REV YUKKA II:

as long as your ball thread is good and the ball is on tight and mast is at 90 degrees to boat you don't need a pin.i have never used a pin in mine and i have had it for 5 years.

be very careful ,I've been sailing 5.8's for 9 years,on and off and not have a problem till about 4 months ago when the mast popped off whilst lowering it.near killed my crew!mind you it was blowing 30 knots and driving rain so everything was slippery.I started lowering it an I didn't walk back far enough on the tramp ,,because it was slippery I didn't want to slip ,,about half way down it jumped off the ball and I had no control at all over the mast.and it came crashing down .after that I tried using a pin but the pin wont go in unless the mast is at a large angle..now as a safety measure I tie a rope usually the righting rope around the dolphin striker to the spanner on the front of the mast,then if it does jump off I still have control of it.they are a big heavy mast and when they go they really go ,so keep that in mind.

Hey Rev,

That boat (628) which you know I bought new, has never had the pin for the mast. I think they thought it was a good idea to help the mast from popping up, but I lost the pin on the first day and never bothered to get another.

I could lift the mast myself, just having to be careful to keep it at 90 degrees and the wind behind me.

Same lowering it. Keep the wind behind you and also have the boat pointing downhill a tad if possible and all should be sweet.

How is the old girl going???

Raising and lowering always have the mast turned 90 degrees, side facing forward.

have crew at base of mast with foot pushing on the mast base.

Boat can remain into the wind, makes no difference.

Being raising 5.8/f18 masts for 16 years and never had one pop out yet, but still always have the crew keep his foot on the mast base.

Michael give Rosco a ring at Bris Cat Centre on 3271 4944 and have a yarn to him, they manufacture the nacras so I am sure that he will be able to help you. He has been looking after my calypso for a good while now and I am very happy with his service. Tell him that the "Imposter" recomended you (lol)

Archived