On the water

Claws

Why did we not discover Nacra and especially the the 5.8 years ago when we started sailing?!

We got 522 back into the water yesterday, woohoo, what a great day. We only had a gentle breeze, 5 gusting 8kts in the morning with 10 gusting 12 in the arvo, but we had FUN. In the afternoon during one of the gusts, we even managed to get a hull out of the water! (Crew located mid-ships)

We are over the moon with our 5.8. She is lovely to sail, tacks easily, is well balanced, with plenty of room to move around.

The only thing I need to develop is calauses on the knees from moving over the tramp during tacks/gybes!!

If anyone is considering buying a boat, then I can heartly recomend the Nacra 5.8. It is great.

We are now looking forward to many many hours of fun, and fine tuning our skills on her.

Cheers to all.

10 years ago I really couldnt afford one. a good used one was about $10k and in todays money that was 20-30k, which is hard for a student.

A really good used boat is still about 10k so they are a lot more affordable now. Even a new one is not out of the question at all for the averager sailor.

if your having problems with your knees buy a wetty that covers them!

In 12 knots you should be 2 on wire unless your very heavy boys smile.gif

hi HooD,

I bought my 5.8 #518, in 1986, (after having a few 5.2's,the first one #1607). Like your's The 5.8 cost heaps$$$$$$,but it was stolen by my son,who sailed it quite well,and was a very competetive boat for many years, he took a 5.8 to NZ in 1992, (i think it was #1292) but i am not sure, he sold it when he came back to OZ, to a neighbour in Adelaide, and it still sails,(but not by him.) I have allways enjoyed Nacras, and can recommend any one of them , any age, if well looked after, to all sailors,for fun or competition.

pete smile.gif

[This message has been edited by xmatelot (edited 18 December 2006).]

[This message has been edited by xmatelot (edited 22 January 2007).]

hi claws,

as Dryzabone says, these are really good, also there are some types available with extra padding on the knee caps, i wore them when 5.2s had the fore and aft tube and jib block wire runners. have a really great time on your boat.

pete smile.gif

[This message has been edited by xmatelot (edited 19 December 2006).]

Thanks for the adivce on the knee protection. We are going out again tomorrow, so will drop into the Chemist on the way. The winds have picked up, so hopefully will have some extra fun tomorrow. (Though we will also probably get a go at "practicing" righting the boat back up after capsizing!!)

PS for info, our 2 up crew is about 160kg.

Claws.

dave don't know how many from nsw are coming, after the nats last year heaps where coming then as it draws near it starts to become a bit hard. and it's the one's who haven't been to one at all that always pull out, the ones who have been to one just carn't wait to get to the next one. JUST DO THE 1ST ONE AND YOU WILL BE HOOKED, REV

Archived