Nacra 5.2 mast raising and lowering

Sacco

hi,

one of the ways to get the cat up if you have turtled, is to get as much weight on to the transom of one hull as you can,(even if you have to "borrow" another sailor,) and try and sink the rear of the cat,and the bow of the other hull should (hopefully) raise up and you can eventually get the boat at least in a manageable more normal capsize attitude. this can take a long time, and it may not work if you are in a rough sea, but it has "worked for me" in the past. Then you should be able to do a normal righting. The mast float is a good thing , if it is watertight, and your mast is sealed.

pete smile.gif

[This message has been edited by xmatelot (edited 28 February 2007).]

Your trap toruble can be fixed with practice so long as your harness has a hook not a hook with a spring loaded keeper.

I have taken out my side stay from landing on it in a capsize a very bad thing to do so a little practice and training is a good idea. I have found trying to plan is hard to do so I have simplified my method. Its call look and leap. Just jump forward off the boat and aim to land behind the sail. The harness will unhook on its own from your forward momentum and bungee pulling your hook ring back.

Also start swimming for your boat straight away as it can move very quickly from the wind blowing it along.

[This message has been edited by zeflyguy (edited 28 February 2007).]

Originally posted by Greg W:

Hey Barry

I'm about 115kg and cannot right a 16 square (very similar to a 5.2) UNLESS the mainsheet is right out, the traveller is right out and the downhaul is let right off. If any one of these is not done, you will never get it up.

Hope this helps

Greg W

Thanks Greg,

All this feedback is great info for next time. I have ordered a mast float from BCC, so hopefully all this extra info and the float will be a benefit.

Cheers

Barry

Archived