Nacra 5.2 mast raising and lowering

Sacco

Getting the mast up is okay - I find I need 3 of us - one to walk in under the mast, one on the tramp and one on the front with a hold of the wire. Getting it down is a job - once it starts to come down it just keeps coming - and quickly. Is there a rope/pulley type system you can set up to get it down with some dignity?

Hi Sacco

I've got a 5.2 also and have only had the opportunity to sail it a few times since getting it in November.

The mast can be a handful, but I find when lowering the mast its easier if you control the mast by walking back and to one side so that one of the rear stays has tention on it. This helps to control the sideways movement of the mast and keeps it stable, allowing you to focus more on controling the rate of descent.

I can lift and lower my 5.2's mast with only the help of my 12yo daughter. I have heared others suggest the easiest way to install the mast is to tip the boat on its side, fit the mast horizontally, then roll the whole lot over, same as you would in a capsize situation only on land. Makes sence to me, as it also removes the necessity to put a heap of weight onto the tramp when lifting and lowering the mast. But I haven't tried this method yet.

Cheers

Barry

[This message has been edited by BarryK1200LT (edited 06 January 2007).]

[This message has been edited by BarryK1200LT (edited 06 January 2007).]

This is a topic covered often in many forums and one that will never go away. With some practice and knowledge you can raise a 5.8 mast solo, and it is hard to explain here but easy to show, but I will try.

I set up the boat on the grass or beach with the bow heading down a slight hill of down the beach. The rollers are then place right at the rear of the boat. As far back as possible.

The mast is layed along the boat with it balancing on both beams with the foot near the bows.

The side stays are attached along with the trap wires, but this is not a must, they can stay wrapped around the stays if this is how you pack up.

I then have a rope attached to the forestay and running through a shackle or ring on the bridal then layed back to the rear beam.

Next step is to move the mast base onto the ball. This needs practice to do alone, but can me managed. It is easier if you have your trailer nearby, or something to hold the top end of the mast. I use my trailer mast holder as I can, but I have used fences, trees and even a beach unbrella. Your car roof racks are great too.

The mast is now ready to be lifted and I start lifting where it is comfortable. That varies on how many beers I may have had the night before and how much strength I think I have.

I then walk to the stern of the boat with the mast at shoulder height. Once at the stern I rest it on my shoulder grab the rope that is attached to the forestay, as I am going to keep this reasonably tight as I walk the mast up the rest of the way.

The rollers now come into play. I use the axle as my first step up onto the boat. It is much easier that trying to lift the mast and take the big step onto the rear beam.

The mast is still at shoulder height and mainly I use my shoulder until I get onto the rear beam or tramp.

Once I am up there, I grab the mast with two hands and walk it up, with the forestay rope being transfered between hands as I keep walking it up.

Once I have it upright, I have the forestay almost in position due to the rope and if I keep this tight, the mast will stay up and I can jump off the front beam and shackle the forestay in place.

It is a rather quick process and takes a few practice sessions with some mates around in case you get into trouble, but it is worth it in the long run.

I can do it with most masts if set up right.

I will try and get the better half to take some pics next week when I go for a sail.

[This message has been edited by Emmessee (edited 07 January 2007).]

hi guys

i played around with the 5.8 over the weekend and found if i put the mast on the step pin in , laid it over one of the hulls and then did the front and one side stay up and a long rope on the trap wire on the side still to be attached . one surporting the mast the other pulling the rope the mast went up very easy and came down just as easy .

bradk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just home from a brilliant morning sailing with my younger crew member.

One of the issues my crew have had is the effort in getting the mast up and down, even when there are 3 of us!!

Anyway, by combining a couple of the suggestions above, it is now nearly a one person operation!

We attached the side stays as normal, located the mast foot on the ball, then attached a tramp wire to each side of the front beam, tightly. This to stablise the mast from any side ways movement. All this with my crewman holding the top of the mast level.

We then took the front mast holder off the trailor, (it just slides into a holder), tied a rope around the front stay, and immediate clove hitch around the base of the mast holder. Rested the mast holder saddle on the base of the mast, thus now creating a triangle from the mast support, front stay and mast.

Crewman then walked to the back of the boat, (still on the trailor), and that then gave us the angle, about 30 deg) where I had all the weight of the mast now on the front stay, and I was then able to raise the mast the rest of the way by myself. Then it was just a matter of attaching the front stay to foil, put the boat in the water, up with the sails, and the fun began!

The reverse was used to lower the mast, and whilst the crewman walked back on the tramp as a "just in case", I was able to keep all the weight on the front stay, until he was able to grab it while standing on the ground. Again, the boat being on a trailor. The crew effort has now been reduced quite considerably.

The only adjustment we will make at some stage, is make an extension for the mast holder, to be the same length out to foil. This will give even more leverage, but also help in securing process to foil.

All in all, a very happy morning sail!!

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Now I have the kite set up on my boat I have a swivel cleat for the halyard. I would thread the rope I have tied to the forestay through there so as I raise the mast, it will cleat off and can take the weight if it ever is too heavy for me. I used the jib block on a 5.8 once like this and it was great to hold the weight while you take the steps up to the tramp.

[This message has been edited by Emmessee (edited 28 February 2007).]

Practiced lifting and lowering the mast on the 5.2 solo a few times today. Found that if I position the boat at the back of the trailer, then sit the top of the mast in the front mast holder and the base of the mast positioned on the mast ball, I can then relatively easily lift the mast up into postion starting the lift from the rear beam, and without having to step up onto the tramp from ground level.

As an additional aid I also attached a rope from the front main stay, ran it through eye that the jib attaches to, then attached the rope to one of the jib blocks and cleat.

The jib rope helped mainly in controling the descent, but also made it easily to hold the mast in position once it was up.

I then used my harness and while attached to one of the trap wires, was able to hold the mast while I undone the rope, and put the pin in place and set the required tension on the rigging.

All the previous advice made this so easy, thanks for all the previous input.

Now all I have to do is work out how I'm going to right the boat solo if I capsize it? I only weigh around 80kg's, so I'm figuring getting the boat back upright may be a bit of a challenge.

I haven't as yet had to right the boat on my own, but I'm told that if I throw the righting line up and over the hull, then connect the rope to my harness and lean way out while standing out on the dagger board, I'm told it "should" come up Ok?

Anyone righted a 5.2 or larger "solo" that can add or suggest any other way of righting the boat solo?

Cheers

Barry

hi Barry,

your heading on the correct tack now.

If and when you capsize, try to point your mast into the wind, this makes it a little easier to raise the boat, as the breeze gets under your sail and helps take the weight, BUT (big BUT) remember to hang on to the boat (somehow) when she comes up,so that she doesn't go over the other way.

I am sure that we have all had this happen,

so ,hang on, and make sure your mainsheet is not cleated, otherwise the boat may sail off into "the wild blue yonder". without a crew.

good luck.

pete wink.gif

[This message has been edited by xmatelot (edited 07 February 2007).]

Thanks for the tips about righting the boat after a capsize. I'm going out tomorrow and should have an opportunity to tip the boat over in shallow water so I can have a go at righting it solo.

Its one of those things that once you've done it, the confidence level will increase. At present I don't know that I'd be able to right the boat on my own, and that "what if" element makes me think twice about taking the 5.2 out on my own.

Cheers

Barry

• 3 weeks later...

Tipped the 5.2 over on the weekend. I was only in about 5 ft of water when I lost it and we went over. Seems that sailing solo out on the wire gets me into trouble real quickly.

Anyway, it was a good opportunity to practice righting the boat solo, but sadly, I couldn't pull her up on my own.

I had the righting line slung over the hull, I was standing way out on the dagger baord, and using all my weight (80kg's) and there was no way it was going to lift up.

So I jumped into the water and walked the mast around so it was facing into the wind, but I still couldn't lift her up. In the end 2 guys ina fishing boat gave me a hand and we got her up Ok.

This was dissapointing because I now know it's not safe for me to venture far from shore if I'm sailing the 5.2 solo.

Anyway, when I got home I was wondering if it would have made any difference if I'd run the righting line through one of the trapeze rings ?

If I'd run the righting line through the trapeze ring, "perhaps" it would have given me extra leverage, because the lifting effort would have also been coming from higher up the mast?

Can anyone offer any further advise on what I could do to right the boat in the event of a solo capsize?

Cheers

Barry

[This message has been edited by BarryK1200LT (edited 27 February 2007).]

Barry,

I am also interested in some tips in righting solo. Under similar situations to yours I tiped my 5.0. I did all the things suggested to me - pointing the sail at an angle into the wind, etc. The hardest part is getting the sail out of the water. I was lucky my father was close to hold the mast just above the water. From this point it was easy.

I am considering having a few foldable buckets from BCF. They hold 10L each and of course will weigh 10kg extra onto my 80kg. I'm hope it will be enough to get the mast out of the water and let the sail do the rest of the work. I know this sounds like a strange idea, but it makes more sense to me than being stuck out with the one hull in the air waiting for someone to rescue me.

The real answer is of course not to tip the boat. But as some say; you are not trying hard enough if you don't get wet!

Richard

PS The other option is to drink more beer!

If your completly turtled solo, without a righting pole and weight bags its a no go.. Most Nacras should have a sealed mast to stop this from happening but if you dont have one then get one or a float device to attach to your mast head.

I have been able to right my N 16 sq on my own which is most likely just as hard or maybe harder due to the heavy main sail. I cant do without the assistance of the wind which I would hope is present due to your predicament. I weigh 100 kg so your weight bags would help a great deal. You can also buy 10L dry bags which would work well. I doubt that running your righting line through your trap will help and infact it will most likly make matters worse as it is better for rig to flex alowing you to get more hull weight over before it tries to raise the mast up. I run my righting line around the underside of my tramp but the best spot is over the side of the hull at the front beam. Set it up so you can hook your righting line into your harness. Make sure your a righting line is set up to hang you a foot or so above the water. Strech out your arms and reach for the horizon so all your weight is stacking as far out from the hull as possible. You need to be patient and asuming you boat is pointing into the wind she should come up. You will need to haul yourself up the righting line as she comes up or you will hit the water and float taking your weight off the righting line and causing the boat to dip its mast back in again.

[This message has been edited by zeflyguy (edited 28 February 2007).]

Perhaps a mast float is the way to go? The last 2 or 3ft of my mast was underwater when I capsized, so maybe if a mast float would allow the tip of the mast to float on the water surface, it would reduce the volume of water covering the top section of the sail when the boat capsizes and comes to rest on it's side?

When I capsized on the weekend, the other difficulty I had was the trap wire didn't release from my harness easily. As a result, when I first went over, I was kind of stuck in this awkward position where I was laying on the top edge of the hull with my left arm hanging onto the bottom of the upper hull, and the trap wire pulled tight on my harness down to the mast.

I didn't want to let go of the hull, cause if I did, I would fall onto the mainsail and likely damage a battern or two. To make things more challenging I also happened to have the mast rear stay wire stuck in the harness hook as well.

As I'm hanging there trying to release the trap wire from my harness, I could see the boat would have eventually turtled if I'd stayed there, and had been in deep enough water (I was only in about 5ft of water so knew the boat couldn't turtle on me).

It took me about 30 seconds to get free of the trap wire and climb down onto the lower hull, then I made sure everything was uncleated before attempting the lift.

After that experience I think investing in a mast float may be good insurance.

Cheers

Barry

Archived