Looking to buy my first Nacra

ozynigma

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and looking for advice on buying my first Nacra. I have been reading a heap of the old threads which has helped a lot.

First the kind of sailing I will be doing. I have a couple of mates who are going to teach me to sail something bigger than a Maricat 4.0 so some of my sailing will be two or three adults on the boat all around 75 - 85kg . We could drop that down to two at a time when we want to go faster. I will also be planning to take my boys out, they are 9, 11 and 13. I have no plans to sail solo. I am not sure if I will develop an interest in racing but I would like to do some sailing in a club environment. So what are the closest clubs to Underwood?

Now for the boat, I am looking for a boat about 10 years - 15 years old and in good condition. I am considering both the 5.0 and the 5.8. I am thinking the 5.8 would be the more versatile boat but at the expense being more difficult to handle (in every sense).

I will be looking at the local boats currently for sale on this forum, so no need for anyone to point them out. My first question on pricing is what price range should I be looking at for both the 5.8 and 5.0 between say 8 and 15 years old in good condition? I realise age isn't everything but having looked at a few boats over 20 years old, I don't want to buy one that old or close to it.

Or to put this question another way, if I was only planning to spend around $6,000 what sort of age boat could I afford in both the 5.0 and 5.8? Also how much more would I have to spend to get a 5.8 less than 10 years old and is it worth spending the extra to get a 5.8 above sail number 1550?

Second question on price relates to boat 1365 currently in the trading post online at $5,000.

Originally posted by johnt:

If the boat does not have a foil it would be a very old boat. Take the cost of the foil and the new jib off $4,500.

Is this good advice and would that make this boat worth more like $3,000 than $5,000? Also does anyone have any other knowledge of 1365, approximate age etc, I haven't arranged to see it yet and won't bother if it is too old.

Hoping these questions all make sense and to soon be a member of the Nacra owners club.

Cheers

Howard

Hi Howard,

I would try to avoid a 5.0 with a sail number less than 2000 unless it is very good condition. You can get a 5.0 in the 1800 -2200 sail number range for around $5000.

The choice between the 5.0 and 5.8 is weight. If the combined crew weight is over say 140kg I would suggest a 5.8. If you want to race I would suggest going over the 1550 sail number. It will cost about 9-11,000 for a 5.8 boat in good condition.

just my thoughts.. john

Hi

Just reading through your post.

I can't comment on teh 5.0 because ive never sailed one. but at teh moment i am sailing teh 5.8 with sail no. 616. I jumped from a hobie 14 and my inital thoughts were that it would feel too big. but after only about a day i found my love in a boat. Teh 5.8 is sooo controlable 100% better than a 14ft. what i love is the fact that you can fly a hull at will and its stable. I'm 16 and love pumped sports like moto x but the 5.8 is actually easier than the smaller boat to handel, my 14y.o sister can skipper teh 5.8 on a gentle day. On teh racing side of things i have been getting into the racing side and teh group of guys (and girls) surounding the 5.8 boat is amazing, they are all friendly, all wiling to give you the latest tip on how to get that extra second off your laptime. and on teh performance side you obviously know about the weight and sail no's, the boat im sailing is more than 20 yrs old and to tell teh truth is up there with all the winners, not braging, but it really does depend on teh sailor. but saying that the new boats do perform better, up wind you will almost not know teh diferance but down wind they will take off on every puff, but when racing at south west rocks i could easily set myself a goal of beating most of teh 1200 no's.

but if you are looking at spending 5-6k on a boat it will get you a very nice 5.8, but they are scarce, you'll have to keep looking around.

Ok well you prob have heard more than you want to from me about 5.8's so ill let you go now. any questions just post them.

seb

I got lucky buying a 5.8 a few years ago while looking for a hobie...I live on the beach off a surf break in WA and have "shot thru" on a number of days when the local crayfishing fleet thought it prudent to stay home and watch Oprah ( probably not too bright but always optimistic!).The 5.8 is a beautiful capable boat that surfs well, is harder than most to pitchpole , and if you have 1 or 2 medium offsiders .perfect.Sailing solo is fine, fast, and furious but if you flip without a mast float or righting pole, you're in trouble. As the post above ...it runs on rails when flying a hull provided that you are sailing in a clean onshore breeze. Offshore breezes..you better be very wary because it's seriously powerful and you won't feel the gusts on the back of your neck to tell how to respond appropriately.Obviously weight affects any cats performance so if your looking to have three aboard, I would go for the 5.8.

As far as difficulty "in every sense"...the hardest thing is to decide to go for a sail...if you have to trailer something and aren't alone trying to hump a heavy cat up a dune...treat yourself to the 5.8 ...my previous sailing experiences have been very VW and the 5.8 is seriously porsche...and that's not just because I happen to be selling mine. Several fused vertebrae after a sandboarding incident at Christmas is impinging on my sailing and believe me ..it is reluctant. Good Luck!

yeh you need to go a 5.8 thats for sure, great boat. the 1st ones where built around 1985, even though there are 20+ they as still strong boats. price for those 3-4k.1200-1500 sail number boats are around 4-7k depending on how good the sails are.over 1550 you are into the lighter made boats and you are looking at 9+. 1575 is for sale for 8.5k without a trailer. for starting off i would look at a boat under 1500 as it will be cheaper and the speed is 2-3% difference. the only thing i would recommend is buying a boat that has been racing. a boat that is being raced on a regular basis will be in good working order. a boat that has been sitting in the back yard for the last couple of years un used will let you down. (1st time out usally sees the tramp stiching give way). a boat that has been sitting out in the weather for a few years is worth about $1000 tops. i have owned 628, 1491 and 1639. out of all of them i think that old 628 will still be around long after the other two are dead, that old boat is bullet proof and from the day i got her to the day i sold it, it never leaked a drop. enjoy your 5.8 when you get one cheers REV

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies so far, advice and encouragement, it has been very useful. I think I will focus on the 5.8 and not be distracted by other options. There is one on the Gold Coast that I looked at last week that is about 15 years old and in very good condition. There is actually quite a few around for sale at the moment varying in asking price from $4,000 to $10,000.

I have talked to BCC already, they currently have no second hand 5.0's or 5.8's for sale, I will be talking to Roscoe again when I go and pick up my Maricat in the next week or so. This is helping me narrow down my long list of questions and not sound like a total idiot when I open my mouth.

I think the above advice has answered my price questions pretty well and confirmed what my research was telling me. Can anyone give me a quick rundown of the sailing club options south of Brisbane? (I have seen the Cleveland clubs website).

Thanks,

Howard

Mannering Pk has 6 5.8s only 1 sail No in the 1500s the undisputed gun is 647 who still runs the small jib, so for the sailing you say you will be doing i would look for 1 of the older boats in good cond for 3-5000, depending on gear supplied in sale. Make sure you get a decent set of beach wheels with the boat.

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

Thanks for all the good advice.

Yesterday I picked up my first Nacra and will be taking it out on the water next weekend.

I ended up buying a 5.2, sail #1749, an older boat but generally in very good condition.

It was listed on ebay at http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200151514945&sspagename=AD ME:X:AAQ:AU:11

I was finding it difficult to justify (esp. to the wife) spending $6,000 or more on a decent 5.8, especially when I have no immediate plans for racing.

So hopefully I will see a few of you out on the water one day, please say Hi. I reckon Cleveland will be the closest sailing club so I will have to check out joining in the next month or two.

Cheers,

Howard

[This message has been edited by ozynigma (edited 16 September 2007).]

G'day Howard,

Congratulations on the purchase of the 5.2.

I've got a 5.2 that I sail regularly. They are great boat, although bit heavy by todays standards, but still a great fun boat to sail.

I live at Alex Hills, so if Cleveland is also your local club, you probably live close by. I generally sail out of either Manly harbour or Victoria Point when I just go out for fun sail, and I recently joined Humpybong YC, and race there.

I going to compete in the SEQ Class Championship in October at HYC, and also the Cat Challenge up at Lake Cootharaba in November.

It would be fantastic to have another 5.2 Nacra to race against, so howabout giving some thought to coming along to both events and have some fun.

Cheers

Barry

PS; If you need to know anything about the 5.2 in terms of setting up etc, give me a call on 3820 2120.

[This message has been edited by BarryK1200LT (edited 16 September 2007).]

Hi Barry and Leigh,

Thanks for the advice. Leigh I will definitely have a look at that set up guide. Barry I would like to catch up for a sail one day. I will give you a call some time. I live at Underwood and phone number is 3423 0076. I am planning on getting the boat out at least a couple of weekends a month over the summer to get my kids outside away from their xbox.

Cheers,

Howard

Hi Howard,

Sounds good, we must plan a day out soon. Good luck with dragg'in the kids away from their xbox. Hope you have more luck than me. I have a 16yo son and a 13yo daughter. Both have no interest in sailing, and I have had to grovel big time to get my son to agree to crew for me so I can race this Sunday.

Cheers

Barry

Hi guys..

5.2 Is a great Boat and in the right hand still a quick one at that. I found myself in the same position regarding crew and have now been on a 16sq for a season and loving the independance, but still able to take my kids out for the day if I wish. Glad to see youre enjoying the 5.2 Barry... You must introduce yourself to me when we come up to humpybong next month on the 20th

ZULU

Mark

Hi Barry,

I probably won't take much convincing. Got the boat out at Victoria Point on Sunday and got a taste of some nice wind in the sails. But I had some rigging problems and a few things not set up right, so the boat has even more potential. Its down at BCC for some preemptive maintenance on the rigging this week.

Howard

Archived