Nacra 5.0 Upgrades

gus

I have just purchased an older Nacra 5.0, sail # 1871 which I intend using for recreational sailing on Moreton bay with the family.

I intend replacing items such as beam straps and dolphin striker straps as required for peace of mind. Also will be replacing the mast stays for the same reason.

My question is although I have no intention of replacing the sails at this point, should I change the old style fore-stay to the bridle-foil arrangement now (retaining the older/smaller jib).

If it is something I should really do anyway, I guess it spreads the cost of an upgrade over a couple of years. However I have no intention of serious racing so wonder is it really worth doing. I would appreciate any feed-back from more experienced Nacra-philes.

Cheers

Angus

stay with the small jib/bridal.

If your not racing there really isnt any point. The down side of having the bridal foil is when you nose dive the boat, if the foil goes under it will a) stop the boat b)sail the bows under further.

Upkeep will be much cheaper as the smaller jib costs less and the bridal wires are also a fraction of the price of a bridal foil.

If anyone comes up with the old "improved structual integrity" argument, its at very best a miminal. lets face it, when was the last time you seen a nacra with the bow fallen off.

Those photos of the Hobie 18 are a bit scary!

I think I will leave the bridle system as original, it appeals more to my Scottish ancestry. My girls are 10 and 12, I think if in a couple of years we want to get into racing we would probably be looking at a newer boat in any case.

Thanks for the help, I will no doubt have some more questions after I first go for a sail. We are picking it up this weekend, but with this cold weather it might be a month or two before we do that.

Cheers

Angus

John

I haven't even rigged it in the backyard yet so some help wouldn't go astray....

I live at Wynnum/Manly so Cleveland is closer than Humpybong, but would be happy to go to either to get some advice. Are there any events being held by either over the next few weeks?

Cheers, Angus

racing at Cleveland Yacht Club this Sunday,

not to sure how many will be there but bring your boat if you want, I'm sure that there will be someone there to give you a few tips and a bit of help, there are currently 3x16sq - 4x5.0 - 3x5.8 and a few other types of cats sailing from there

It is good to see the 5.0 class still sailing and talking on the forum as these boats were fast in strong winds against 5.2 nacra's.

There was a 5.0 nacra that the bow broke off at port lincoln in 1987 but the conditions were severe on the day.The same event saw people like mich booth, bob lawrence, on 18 squares revel in the breeze. When i see hobie 18 having hull failure all boats can suffer the same but I would rather sail 5.0 nacra than hobie 18

Thanks to all at Cleveland YC for showing me around and answering all my questions last Sunday.

I'll be dropping the boat off at BCC in the next week or so to go over it and then I'll be ready to take her out.

Hopefully all these gusty westerlies will have gone by then!

Cheers, Angus

Archived