Calypso 16 Vs Nacra 5.2

I need some assistance in deciding whether to buy a Calypso 16 or a Nacra 5.2. I intend to eventually start racing with my 10 year old son. I have some sailing experience with 125's and Sabot's and lots of Sailboard experience if this counts. I am looking at spending up to $2500.

Are the Nacra 5.2's still in production and if not can I get spares easily.

5.2 > calp 16

The nacra 5.2 is more performance orientated due to the plum full bows and the centerboards ,which among many other things will give the boat quite an edge in performance over the calp 16 ,the calp 16 is probley more forgiving than the 5.2 due to the centerboards .depends on if your going to get serious in the racing or take the kids for a blast ,both are no longer in production and parts should be available at manufactuares in Brisbane .

calp 16 should be around the $2000 .5.2 should be $2500-$3500 for a shit hot one.

In your situation I'd go the nacra ,it's got more volume = more freeboard ,centerboards for better perf and lets face it the 5.2 looks a hell of alot more sexy than a calp 16.

Remember the old 5.2 add ,there was a 5.2 rigged on the beach and a porsche and a lambo or a ferraris sitting next to it with a heading saying "Sail in the fast lane "

keep an eye on the Trading post or Sunday mail or check out Bris cat center for one thats been traded or on consignment.

Guest Old Mate

There's Reasonably priced 5.8's around. Also Hobie 16's, but to get a decent 16 that hasn't gone soft... GOOD LUCK. Personally I'd go for a reasonably priced 5.8! Twin Trap and reasonably forgiving.

Old Mate

Originally posted by Old Mate:

There's Reasonably priced 5.8's around. Also Hobie 16's, but to get a decent 16 that hasn't gone soft... GOOD LUCK. Personally I'd go for a reasonably priced 5.8! Twin Trap and reasonably forgiving.

Old Mate

Yeh a 5.8 would be great but for someone starting out and sailing with his 10 yr old unless the contitions are fairly mild the 5.8 would be quite a hand full both on and off the water .lets be honest your not going to get a 5.8 for under $4000-$5000.

I still think a 5.2 would be better in your case .Or maybe if you can find a good Hydra which are a good fiberglass 16ft boat you can pick up from $1500-$2500,or a cobra or mozzi but you won't get a glass one for that price.

If you want to race single handed and just take your son out to teach him to sail ,a 16sq would be a good starting point as there are goog fleets and you could pick up a old one for $3500 , then when your son gets a bit older and more experianced then go a 5.2 or 5.8.you don't want to put your son on a 5.8 and scare crap out of him , You'llnever get him back on it!

Bit harsh on the old 16 boys! Sure some of the ancient Hobie 16s are soft, but not many boats stay together with rough treatment and no maintenance, as long as they do!

A Hobie 16 is a great boat to sail with kids. have a look at the sheer number of them around and how many are actively racing with kids on board. Also, it is the international youth multihull.

You don't get much of anything for $2500.00.

If you compare initial outlay against resale value, then you will know what a boat will cost.

Resale value is what someone will pay in a reasonable timeframe. Some designs are cheap cause you can't get rid of 'em!

take note from the "village idoit" don't race out and buy a 5.8 if you are going to sail with a 10 year old. the min class wieght for crew on a 5.8 is 145kg for a start. the other thing is i have herd of a lot of 5.8's for sail after hubby has got one for him & wife to go out sailing on for a nice sunday sail. then wind gets up over 10 knots and it needs both people out on trap to keep it down. boat tips over it takes a bit to get back up. then when it does you find that it is really high out of the water and it's hard for hubby to get on and he has to pull his wife by the back of her life jacket. wife never sails again and boat is back on the market. the 5.8 is a great boat and i love mine, but it is not the boat you should buy for your 1st cat. our 1st cat was a cobra fiberglass on a trailer for $1200.

The Nacra 5.2 is not the only answer. If you wanted a brand new one I can assure you Rosco would build you one.

Personally, and I have sailed every Nacra there is, if I was starting up with a 10 year old I would go the Nacra 5.0

http://www.nacra.com.au/nacra50.htm

It has no centreboards, no boom, is lighter, can be sailed one up very easily and is still very quick.

If sailed well it will keep up with all the other boardless 16's and it is hot. They look sensational on and off the water and they are easier to sail than anything else around.

It is still in production (but not very often) and I think it is more stable than a 5.2.

You can also get them at the price you are looking at.

There used to be heaps of them around and were sailed sloop with two on the wire or cat rigged for solo sailing.

Originally posted by Emmessee:

The Nacra 5.2 is not the only answer. If you wanted a brand new one I can assure you Rosco would build you one.

Personally, and I have sailed every Nacra there is, if I was starting up with a 10 year old I would go the Nacra 5.0

http://www.nacra.com.au/nacra50.htm

It has no centreboards, no boom, is lighter, can be sailed one up very easily and is still very quick.

If sailed well it will keep up with all the other boardless 16's and it is hot. They look sensational on and off the water and they are easier to sail than anything else around.

It is still in production (but not very often) and I think it is more stable than a 5.2.

You can also get them at the price you are looking at.

There used to be heaps of them around and were sailed sloop with two on the wire or cat rigged for solo sailing.

You've seen nacra 5.0 for $2500 .....I doubt it...I would be looking for a clean Hydra a friend of mine got on 3-4 years ago always garaged a couple of sets of sails and even a spinnaker .used on a lake (fresh water)he paid $1500.

Thanks guys I'm more confused than ever now. This debate started over a choice of two boats and now I have to decide between Calypso 16s, Nacra 5, 5.2 and 5.8s, soft Hobie 16s, Cobra, and Mozzies.

After reading all the replies I am swayed towards the Nacra 5.0 but I don't think I could get one under $2500.

Clint

Originally posted by Hansonfamily4:

Thanks guys I'm more confused than ever now. This debate started over a choice of two boats and now I have to decide between Calypso 16s, Nacra 5, 5.2 and 5.8s, soft Hobie 16s, Cobra, and Mozzies.

After reading all the replies I am swayed towards the Nacra 5.0 but I don't think I could get one under $2500.

Check out a Hydra! they are a scaled down 16 ft tornado fiberglass and fairly cheap.

I do not own shares in Nacra. Let's make that clear now.

A hydra is too heavy.

A calypso has no speed and is heavy.

Mozzie. Just hard work. Too much maintenance.

Cobra. Yeah, right. Like there is a fleet of them anywhere. They sail with stingrays now.

Hobie 16. Don't waste your time on an old one. You will just float behind the fleet of Manly Juniors.

You can get a Nacra 5.0 at close to that price. There was one on E-Bay before Xmas that sold for $2,200. And it was in good nick.

All the above boats do not even get close to a comparison to a Nacra 5.0.

I can assure you that a 5.8 is too much of a handful. Once you get the hang of sailing, then get one and they are a blast.

The 5.0 is the perfect balance.

Min crew weight for a 5.8 is 125KG. I have seen it sailed and righted by a 126Kg combined crew weight.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Pictures-Inside-Hobie-14&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

have a look inside a hobie, its just scary.

If I were you I would go with the nacra 5.2 or 5.0's are great boats. You cant go wrong with them.

Originally posted by Emmessee:

if you know what you are doing, you can get a 5.8 up by yourself.

But I think that Hansonfamily4 should have a close look before buying but I would be shocked if it was decided anything was better than a 5.0.

I like how easy they are to sail solo and they are a super quick boat too.

Thanks Emmessee, you have convinced me the 5.0 is what I need. If you are correct and I'm sure you are, I'll be searching the papers and clubs over the weekend.

THE GREAT DEBATE IS OVER

Regards Clint

Originally posted by Hansonfamily4:

Thanks Emmessee, you have convinced me the 5.0 is what I need. If you are correct and I'm sure you are, I'll be searching the papers and clubs over the weekend.

THE GREAT DEBATE IS OVER

Regards Clint

Good luck Clint , hope you find a 5.0 ,they are a good boat ,I'm still sceptical you'll find one around the $2500 ,In one of the other threads I read you were near/planned to sail at Humpybong (me too) I will be there next weekend 19th&20th ,come and say hello ,good luck anyway and hope to see you on the water.

Jay n5.8 1606.....

The best till last !!

For your type of sailing you couldn't go past a Prindle 16 . Truck upwind with asymetrical hulls and handle overpowering conditions extremely well . Wont scare the 10 year old out of sailing . Or you for that matter . No uncomfortable alloy bars to have to trap off ala Hobie and for a song you can buy one . Nice clean deck unlike early 5.2's . Overall a great cat .

Oooo Forgot that one didn't we !! ;-P

Seems that there are many great craft makes and models out there so for your first craft I would suggest that you go for the best value for money, a slower craft in good condition may be better than a racer that is knocked about. Its like the age old discussion which is better .. a ford or a holden ... both break down and both cost you money !!!

• 1 month later...

Archived