NACRA 4.5 with Spinnaker

CleverNickname

I've just bought myself a spinnaker kit for my 4.5 (thanks Emmessee). I have had trouble finding information about setup and thought I'd post some photos for interest of other owners following in my footsteps.

My photo album is here:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/BradleyThompson40/Nacra45Spinnaker

I welcome any comments about areas for improvement, such as spinnaker pole pre-bend.

Can someone tell me if the red edge on a spinnaker is the leeach (is this a standard)?

When gybing, should the spinnaker pass in front or behind the luff, i.e. how should I run the windward (lazy) sheet?

Brad

Brad,

I'd recommend that the turning block at the rear of the tramp be changed over to a large® diameter S/S ring attached to a shock-cord looped back to the rear beam then forward, under the tramp to the dolphin striker (perhaps). Helps if you have an eyelet in the back end of the tramp to feed through.

This will eliminate the need for;

1. having extra halyard.

2. panic attacks and pant-pooing when you get block-bound ropes that are twisted and won't feed!!!.

3. righting the boat after foresaid pant-pooing moment and flip (that you must do to stop, due to kite not coming down) before you career into beach/jetty/bunch of irate fisherfolk/very exxy cruiser....etc.etc.

The added advantage is that once you tune the halyard length it will be nice and snug, (held by said shock-cord all very nicely) with no loose bits flopping around.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Leroy wink.gif

Took the spinnaker for a test run on the weekend. It was too windy so only managed one brief reach and gybe before sending my crew flying on the trapeze. The spinnaker was quickly snuffed and we enjoyed the strong SE wind and flat seas at Raby Bay.

I forgot to add some telltails to the sidestays, so I had no idea what the wind was doing when I had the spinnaker up. I used to have a windex in front on the jib which I had to remove to prevent the spinnaker from snagging. Must remember to put some wool or something in my tool box next time.

I can see that I need to work out some strategies with my crew when raising and dousing the spinnaker.

Brad

Brad,

How do you find sailing off Raby Bay?

I thought it would be to shallow on anything but high tide, or in the main channels?

I've often looked at that section of the bay from Cleveland Point and thought it would be great when a strong S/E is blowing.

We put the 5.2 in on Brisbane River at Pinkenbah Sunday. Then sailed out the river into the bay, and then out behind Mud Island where it was a bit protected from the swell, but we still had plenty of breeze. Was a great day out.

Cheers

Barry

[This message has been edited by BarryK1200LT (edited 23 July 2007).]

Barry,

I'm a big fan of Raby Bay for several reasons. We park along Masthead Drive and back the trailer up to the coppers log barricade. The barricade is low enough that I can get the boat off the trailer and onto the grassed area for rigging. There are a few small beaches to launch from.

I've never had much trouble at low tide. The western side of the bay is the most shallow so I keep clear. Just a small amount of traffic in the channels to watch out for.

It is a perfect place to launch from when I sail to Peel Island.

There is hardly a soul around so no problems with parking.

Brad

SUGGESTION,

For TELL_TALES, put a couple of wraps of electrical tape on the side stays about 1/4 inch apart (a couple of feet up from the deck), then use an old Barry Manilow casette tape about 2 foot long (granny hitched) as a wind indicator...

Best use yet...

You could even use TOTO or YOYO Honey tape with the same effectiveness...

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Leroy wink.gif

Originally posted by CleverNickname:

Barry,

I'm a big fan of Raby Bay for several reasons. We park along Masthead Drive and back the trailer up to the coppers log barricade. The barricade is low enough that I can get the boat off the trailer and onto the grassed area for rigging. There are a few small beaches to launch from.

I've never had much trouble at low tide. The western side of the bay is the most shallow so I keep clear. Just a small amount of traffic in the channels to watch out for.

It is a perfect place to launch from when I sail to Peel Island.

There is hardly a soul around so no problems with parking.

Brad

Thanks Brad,

I must give launching from Raby Bay a try someday. Parking can be a bit of a hassle I use the ramp at Victoria Point a fair bit(where the barge departs)if I'm heading for Peel Island, and quite often it can be hard to get a parking space. Even the two dedicated boat rigging lanes often have trailers parked in them.

How about giving me a call next time your going to put in at Raby Bay, and I'll see if I can meet up with you with either the Nacra or Maricat. But you can't pop ya kite till you've attached a line to the front of my boat too (lol).

My mobile is 0438 641 543

Cheers

Barry

Brad,

Have you thought of going to the nationals down in Port Stephens? I'm stepping back from racing 16sq and F18 to a more cruisier style and mental attitude, also to involve the family more. Therefore, a 4.5 (with a kite of course) seems to be the best answer.

None of this means that i have lost my competitive urge, i just can't put the time in to be competitive at a level that i would be happy with.

So the long and the short of it is that if i can afford a boat (4.5) in time, i'm going to try and hussle a few together to make up a class down at Port Stephens. Combine this with a family camping trip and various relo's, hey presto, everyones happy.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Leroy wink.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived