New King of the Lake

Guest Cormeister

Guest Cormeister

Just a quick post to let all know that Nacra has a new King of the Lake, the winner of this years regatta was Nev Thompson on a Nacra F18 Infussion (he also placed 2nd overall in the Allboats regatta), second in the King of the Lake was David Merrett on a Nacra 14sq (also got 8th in the Allboats) and third was Leon McNeill on a Nacra 16sq (also got 9th in the Allboats). The encouragement award was presented to Barry Lane and Toni on a Nacra 5.2, these guys finished all 4 races in the series and managed a very respectable 13th in the Allboats regatta (37 boat fleet). This years fleet was smaller than normal, however all that participated had a great time at Lake Cootharaba (its actually really hard not to have a good time there).

Leon and David devserve a special mention for completing all 4 races, David proved that those 14sq's are quick upwind when theres a bit of breeze about, he was always in the top group of boats to the first mark, and Leon also rates a special mention for completing all races, most think he was hungry for a win.

The weekend was also the first time the new Nacra Tent was used (Surprisingly those little pegs managed to keep it in place all weekend), this tent should be a great meeting point at up coming regattas for all Nacra sailors to get together, have a drink and talk sailing.

Thanks to all the Nacra sailers that attended, see you on the water this season.

Corey

Guest Cormeister

The 14sq was not using a kite, just a very well sailed standard 14sq, however the system used to obtain the results may not have been as acurate as it could have been, the Big boats such as F18's and A's did one extra lap (this was changed on sunday to be windward / leeward courses for the big boats) the 16's kept the courses of 2 triangles and 2 sausages, and the 14's did one less sausage, they then applied the elapsed time and averaged it over the standard of a 4 lap race for all to arrive at a standard coures for all 3 fleets (if I have this wrong please feel free to correct me). As for the 16's featuring in the results, a bit to much breeze for the 16sq compared to the F18, Scott will no doubt disaggre with this comment (he did manage to flog us all in the first race), a bit less breeze in race 2 had me in first, they cancelled the 3rd race Saturday due to the time and the length of the course meaning many boats would finish very late in the day, Sunday dawned raining and windy, we tried to convice Scott during breakfast that the racing should be called off but he would not be in it. Sunday moring race was very close with Warren on a borrowed boat, Scott lead from the start but Leon hooked into a great gust on a downwind run and passed both Scott and Warren in one leg, meanwhile back in the fleet Nev and I were having a close battle changing places at every mark rounding, Leon went on to win with Warren in second and Scott in third (with about 10 seconds between first and third), I hooked into the lift of the century and layed the top mark inside Nevs line and lead him on the last downwind to the finish (Nev is bloody hard to pass on the course and fights the whole way around). During lunch most decided that due to the cold/rain and a long trip home that packing up early would be a much better option (I would have sailed if the others would was a commen thing heard over lunch, Leon spoiled this convincing argument by actually sailing the last race). The last race failed to live up to most peoples expectains of the wind after the passing of a squally shower it settled back to 10 -15 knots for the duration of the race, naturally Leon kicked ass on the 16sq.

As for Nev Thompson on a Nacra, he sure is sailing a Nacra Infussion and is doing very well on it, it took a long time for him to jump ship towards Nacra but he is on one now.

Corey

Archived