New to Forum and Nacra 5.2

Wolfman

Hello Everyone,

I just purchased an early refurbished Nacra 5.2 (new sails, tramp, hulls gellcoated, new sheets). I'm not sure how old it is exactly but early 80's by some of the bits on it (original sails are long gone). I probably own the only one in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. For those without a map, that's pretty close to the very center of North America.

I used to crew a Hobie 16 when I was a kid (15+ years ago) and this is my first boat since. I will be sailing at my cottage on a fairly small lake(10 km by 10 km) for the most part.

This weekend will be my first time out attempting to rig and get it in the water. I read 2 of Phil Berman's books on Catamarans but I'm still very nervous. Any advice, words of wisdom, words of derision would be very much appreciated.

The opportunity to get this boat presented itself and I had to take it. Am I a complete idiot for starting so big?

Regards,

Dave Bonin

The 5.2 is a good sized cat and very forgiving of mistakes ie wrong weight placement etc, you can bury the bows a long way before it either comes to a stop or pitchpoles, as hobie 16's tended to do very quickly.

Go out in light to moderate winds (10-15 knots max) Always wear a life jacket and preferably the first time or two have another boatie or someone nearby with a boat/jetski to keep an eye on you if you get into trouble.

For the first few outings stay close to home 10k is a long way to drift if something goes wrong.

Preferably sail in an onshore breeze so that if you do get into trouble or have a breakage you get blown back to shore.

Look to see that you have a righting system under the tramp, and if you don't, make one up with a rope tied to the base of the mast you can throw over the upper hull.

Are you going out alone or with a crew?

You don't mention the condition of the shrouds. If you are in any doubt about their age closely inspect them for broken strands or discolouration (rust spots) and if you find any breaks consider new wires rather than risk the rig coming down.

Practice turning the cat over in waist deep water, and then get it upright again so you know what to do when you come unstuck doing the 'wild thing.'

You've been away from cats for a while but it will all come back. Enjoy!

Thanks for the advice! It's good to know that the cat is fairly forgiving, it is so much bigger than my previous experience that I am quite intimidated. And yes I was thrown forcibly from the old Hobie 16 on many an occasion. smile.gif

First time I go out I was planning on having 2 people with me, only raising the main and having my dad standing by with his small bass boat just in case.

The shrouds look to be in very good condition, they aren't original to the boat, they just weren't replaces during this overhaul.

I do have a righting system. It is like a shock cord that going around under the trampoline inboard of the hulls. I'm thinking about putting a different one on , like you describe that can go over the hulls for more leverage.

What is your opinion on mast floats? I've been told not to go with the hobie bob and just go and get a tether ball (basically a football with a lanyard on it if you don't know) and attach that to the top of the mast. The lake I am on is only about 3 m deep so masts tend to stick in the mud when you go over.

Regards,

Dave

I've never used a mast float but I religiously go over my mast every year with silicone and seal every rivet hole or water entry point except for the base of the mast which is left open to allow any water to exit.

If a float keeps it out of the mud go for it.

let us know how you go on your sail.

Good advice, I will be sure to seal the mast well! Well I got the cat rigged this weekend anyway. Stepped the mast with no problems (probably a good thing I spend a few hours a week in the gym).

Unfortunately I found out a couple of things.

First, the guy who redid the hulls and sails for me didn't know how to rig the rudders correctly (pre-pivmatic), so I spent some time with that.

Secondly the original owner was a real fan of Home Depot carabiners and used them to replace shackles in a couple of places. I'm a civil engineer so I know a bit about forces, so I wasn't too excited to trust a 60 kg caribiner to keep my rigging together.

Thirdly the Main Halyard is in dire need of a replacement (frayed wire and worn line). It has a bullet with a prong hook similar to the Hobies as opposed to the ring/hook system that was original for the Nacras. Anyway the bullet was mounted too high to engage the hook and I suspect the original owner just cleated the halyard and used it that way.

I wasn't comfortable taking it out that way so I packed it up for the weekend. I am going to go and get new shackles and a Main Halyard made up this week by our local Hobie dealer/master sailmaker.

Finally I was lowering the mast and forgot to rotate the darn thing. Beacaus of this I ended up bending the threaded rod the ball sits on. It is probably fine for a couple of sails but I ordered a new ball and rod from Murray's.

I will let you know as my odyssey continues.

One question, does anyone know a tip or trick for a main luff that likes to bind in the track while it is bain hoisted? Silicon spray? Parafin wax maybe?

Regards,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

OK new question on the 5.2 (instead of starting a new thread).

My boat's jib system appears different than in the instruction manual (both old and new). The barber-haulers are about the same but the jib blocks are attached to a line that goes to the rear beam. The manual shows the blocks attached to tracks on the hulls behind the dagger boards.

Is this a normal setup for older 5.2's? Is the track system better?

Regards,

Dave

Archived