Is it easier to pitchpole on a lake

G'day we went to Lake Bonney this weekend and did another pitchpole, both bows went down and I tried to just power it through and back up but it just tripped resulting in more bruises on the wife. This is my second pitchpole on a lake in as many outings, do you have to be a lot more conservative on fresh water?

Interesting question, "do you need to be more conservative in fresh water". If you accept that fresh water has a SG of 1 (give or take a little, allowing for impurities) and salt water has a SG of 1.024 - 1.025, once again allowing for varying salinity and temperature then it can be seen that there probably won't be enough difference in flotation to cause your boat to sail radically different in fresh as opposed to salt.

Often in 'salt water' (open water) when your bow/s go in it is a wave so the boat is able to punch through the other side!

When the water is flat and the bows go in there is no opportunity to pop out the other side... they just dive!

I'm not an expert but the newr boats, F18's, F16's etc have a lot of bouyancy low down meaning they are more likely to pop back up from a nosedive... the taipans are pretty fine in the bows!

Jeff... Get further back on the boat and try to transition from points of sail smoothly! easier said than done!

Naive question, but upwind,downwind or reaching???

I've seen a lot of Taipans bury the bows after rounding the top mark and beginning to bear away. It's obvious here that the hulls arent moving that fast and the sail loads up- with nowwhere to go but forward...

I would be thinking about weight distribution (location really) and technique.

Driving or punching through works if the hulls have speed and drive is down low. Driving works downwind as a lot of force is down low.

If your burying the bows upwind, I'd be looking at mast rake and easing the outhaul. I've pitched it by trying to get the weight forward in an attempt to point higher.

There is more to write from others as I'm no expert.

[This message has been edited by slammer (edited 09 October 2009).]

Thanks for your replies guys. We started late so were going hard no problems upwind we had the bow about four inches out with a lot of spray, we took the top mark with my wife in and I stayed on the wire for about 80m wasn't a reach, got to the bottom mark ready for upwind, we got on the wire as we were going around the mark and I centred the traveller as we turned up wind both hulls went down evenly and it wasn't a sudden trip I eased the sheet but it tripped. I thought it was a gust at the time but I wonder whether it was the amount of apparent wind we generated in the turn.

Archived