New F16's on the market.

From the General Forum.

Originally posted by HooD:

Is there a website for the Blade? Also is the blade being built to 125kilos like the viper or to the f-16 class rules which is 104/107kg?

Hi Hood,

When you ask for a website for the Blade, do you mean the Blade production cat made in Australia by Formula Catamarans Australia? As there are a number of Blade websites, but the FCA one is unavailable as it is being updated at present.

What makes you think the Viper is being built to 125kg?

The FCA Blade F16, is built to the F16 rules, the first 2 boats where around 110kg, now that boats have been built and raced, weight saving areas have been identified and the next boats will be lighter.

Regards Gary.

AHPC have stated that they are going to build a boat at 125kg. this is so that they can get a boat that will be stronger and so they can control the manufacturing process.(remember they are built overseas)In saying this the Taipan remains at the class weight(97cat 102sloop) and is built in the same factory.

[This message has been edited by zakblack81 (edited 28 August 2007).]

There seems to be a slight misconception here about weight versus strength.

With the construction of “light weight” cat hulls, the main reason to build a hull like an F16 “heavier” is more to do with manufacturing/labour cost rather than strength. I don’t know of anyone who has ever complained about the “strength” of the construction of the Taipan at the low weight that it is? The long competitive life that the Taipan has enjoyed would seem to indicate that it has been more than strong enough. But when labour costs (in particular) come into the overall cost of the boat in a way that can “make or break” the competitive pricing of the boat then, ” heavier is cheaper” as the labour is considerably less and the extra weight has very little or nothing to do with “extra” strength.

(That is not to say that a hull that has a larger surface area will not weigh more than one of a lesser surface area, when all other considerations are equal I.E. a Viper hull will naturally weigh more than a Taipan hull (marginally) even if they are both made to the same formula simply because the surface area of the Viper is greater than that of the Taipans)

[This message has been edited by Darryl J Barrett (edited 28 August 2007).]

Originally posted by xmatelot:

Hi,

Is not the Taipan 4.9 class weight,

97kg cat,

102kg sloop,

Does the modification 4.9 to F16 alter this?

Wider beams etc?

pete

yes it does it now means you will have to be at

104kg cat

107kg sloop weight and you are no longer within the Taipan class rules

Originally posted by Leapin Leroy:

Doesn't seem to have much info on it though, any idea when it'll be up & running?

Hi Leroy,

yeah sorry about that, am pushing to get it updated, but I think somebody has some browny points to catch up on after the big trip O.S.

Anything you want to know just ask. Can take it to email or phone if you like. Where are you, will be heading to Wildcat at Forster end of month, maybe we can catch up somewhere.

Regards Gary.

Gary,

I'm in Brisneyland so catching up at this point is out of the question. I love the look of the F16, (I would like to see one in the flesh), but have stepped back from competitive sailing for the time being to introduce my youngsters to the sport.

Maybe in a couple of years who knows? (if there is a seniors division then!).

Regards,

Leroy wink.gif

Originally posted by Leapin Leroy:

Gary,

I'm in Brisneyland so catching up at this point is out of the question. I love the look of the F16, (I would like to see one in the flesh), but have stepped back from competitive sailing for the time being to introduce my youngsters to the sport.

Maybe in a couple of years who knows? (if there is a seniors division then!).

Regards,

Leroy wink.gif

Hey Leroy you are alot closer to Forster than me! Hey aren't we all seniors?

Archived